Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help with Transom Plate....

So I re-sealed my transom a few months ago, and apparently, did a really good job. Now I can't get it off. I have heavy duty ratchet straps wrapped around the transom plate and a tree. I've almost pulled the entire trailer over the chocks, and the ski scooted back a little on the bunks. I really think you could hang the ski by the transom and it would hold it. I'm starting to worry that it's going to pull a chunk of the ski off if it ever comes loose. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Banned User
    +1
    heat is ur freind

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    So I re-sealed my transom a few months ago, and apparently, did a really good job. Now I can't get it off. I have heavy duty ratchet straps wrapped around the transom plate and a tree. I've almost pulled the entire trailer over the chocks, and the ski scooted back a little on the bunks. I really think you could hang the ski by the transom and it would hold it. I'm starting to worry that it's going to pull a chunk of the ski off if it ever comes loose. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Get some Debond!

“remove and clean up cured 3M 5200 (polyurethane adhesive sealant) in addition to silicones, caulk and common marine adhesives without damaging the boat or accessory.”

DeBond Corp.
    Wellington, Fla.
    Phone: (561) 575-4200
    Marine Formula

+1
    Damn, was really hoping I didn't have to order something and wait. I'll check the boat store tomorrow. Don't have my torch here to try that route.

Banned User
    +1
    Heat gun not a tourch. Just get it hot and use slow steady pressure. I put a jack on the tralior and push at the bottom and cut with a knife.

+1
    Debond will help get the old silicone off once it's removed, but it only works on what's exposed & doesn't penetrate into it. It won't be much help removing the transom. I tried it. Mine was sealed with 5200 & the method that worked for me was tying a come-along to a tree, heated the transom with a heat gun, cranked on the come-along a few times, then wacked the plate with a mallet. I had to repeat this a few times but eventually got it off. Heat is the key. Without getting the sealant hot, you could end up removing chunks of your hull with the plate.

+1
    I meant a little propane torch, not cutting torch. I think I'd be ok with that, and they are cheap enough for me to pick up yet another one. I was reading the debond website, and it said it will penetrate, but you have to let it set for 20 minutes and do it an inch at a time, or something to that effect. I guess I'll try the heat, deadblow, jack, and strap method.

When I sealed it, I sealed up the the shoe area on the front and bottom to eliminate the gaps between the plate and hull, so I'll have a lot of cutting, heating and banging to do.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Food for thought.........That debond is probably flammable.
    Just somthing to keep in mind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Food for thought.........That debond is probably flammable.
    Just somthing to keep in mind.
    Yes, I'm sure it is. I wasn't planning on putting heat to it with the debond still wet. I'll probably do the heat first to soften it up, and if heat alone doesn't do it, then I'll try the debond.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I was reading the debond website, and it said it will penetrate, but you have to let it set for 20 minutes and do it an inch at a time, or something to that effect.
    You'll see.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information