Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help, trying to figure out what i messed up in my carbs that would let gas fill up

My carbs had a stalling problem, so i took the carbs apart and cleaned them. After i put them back together, i noticed gas coming out exhaust. Last night, when i took the carbs off, under the 3rd carb, the manifold was full of gas. I was thinking the needle may have been left too high, but a coworker didnt think that would do it when it wasnt running. Any idea on what would cause this????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Was the fuel selector valve turned to the OFF position when the engine was just sitting?

This is one of the purposes of that selector valve, to prevent fuel tank air pressure from forcing fuel past the carburetor and dripping into the engine.

The fuel tank has an air pressure venting check valve. If that valve is stuck closed then the sun's heat can cause the air pressure inside the fuel tank to rise well beyond the normal 1-2 PSI. This excess air pressure can force fuel right through the carburetors, unless the fuel selector valve is turned off.

You may need to replace the fuel tank venting check valve.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Was the fuel selector valve turned to the OFF position when the engine was just sitting?

This is one of the purposes of that selector valve, to prevent fuel tank air pressure from forcing fuel past the carburetor and dripping into the engine.

The fuel tank has an air pressure venting check valve. If that valve is stuck closed then the sun's heat can cause the air pressure inside the fuel tank to rise well beyond the normal 1-2 PSI. This excess air pressure can force fuel right through the carburetors, unless the fuel selector valve is turned off.

Thanks k447, that makes since, now would it be only in the 3rd carb, like mine is?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Thanks k447, that makes sense, now would it be only in the 3rd carb, like mine is?
    Well, something is different about that carb, isn't it? Perhaps it has a lower threshold for excess fuel pressure push through, or is generally leaking internally.

Normally all three carbs are supposed to set up near identically, in terms of pop off pressures and spring tensions, clearances, etc.

It looks like you need to carefully go through those carbs again and really make sure they are correct inside.

Was the fuel selector valve left in the ON position?

+1
    What was the condition of the needle seat O-Ring? Did you check Pop-Off test?

I think when i cleaned the carb, i left the needle high and it let gas suck down in the manifold. I did shut off the gas, so i think that selector is not working.

I called watcon to order a new fuel selector but they are closed for 10 days, Does anyone know anywhere else that may have it?

I may have to find one at a parts store for now, all that gas scared me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    I may have to find one at a parts store for now, all that gas scared me.
    I may have a selector. Hrmm I think its off on reserve though

I checked my fuel selector and it was good. I opened all my carbs to 1 1/4 and it ran terrible. Instead of lean, it ran rich and fouled out the plugs. BOO, i ended up leaving it at the shop.

Banned User
    +1
    Check your regulator arm height. It needs to be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information