+1

Helpful advise in buying a used Seadoo

I'm going out to look and test drive a 2006 seadoo supercharged limited GTX.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/3788120992.html
    It only has 49.1 hours and need some advice and what to look for so I'm not wasting $6,300.
    The current owner has had it for 2 1/2 years and said when he bought it the original owner told him it didn't need to be service until it hit 50 hours. It had 29 hours when he bought it.
    It was garage kept for 1 year and then stored in the driveway with the cover on for the last 1 1/2 years.
    He said he has only taken it out on the lake once a year and has no need for it anymore.
    I know the importance of winterizing it for storage, oil change and spark plug change beginning every season.
    I have a 2004 Seadoo GTX and love the way it handles. I want a longevity Seadoo, will the Seadoo SC be a longevity PWC

With all that in mind (no maintenance done in 2 1/2 years) what should I look for before I hand over any cash?
    Any advice is welcomed.
    Thanks

+1
    It's certainly going to need an oil change and new spark plugs. Check the compression in each cylinder as you would with any other ski you would be buying. If possible, take it for a test ride. I wouldn't consider any supercharged Sea Doo to be a longevity PWC. Also, if no services have been completed this ski probably has the original ceramic washers so you're going to need a supercharger rebuild.

+1
    how much is a Supercharger rebuild?
    I'm not a person who knows how to work on jet skis so I would be having a professional do it ex: Elk Grove Power Sports

+1
    See this! you just remove it, ship it to Jerry and he ships it back. Perfect Turnkey Operation

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146938

Jerrys service is the only reason why i dove into a supercharged ski for my second.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyzl230 View Post
    how much is a Supercharger rebuild?
    I'm not a person who knows how to work on jet skis so I would be having a professional do it ex: Elk Grove Power Sports
    Parts are ~$330. Labor is specific to whatever route you choose to take.

+1
    I thought the supercharger rebuilt kit was supposed to be done at 100 hours?
    Can I get away without doing the kit until it hits 90 - 100 hours? (it only has 49.1 hours on it right now)

+1
    Don't wait to get the original washers out. It might only have 49 hrs but it's a ticking time bomb with original ceramic washers.
    If you test ride it, that would be all I would do till this is done.
    If the washers let go or the bearing cage goes out, your whole investment is shot to hell. Might as well of bought a new ski with how much you will have to invest.

Just keep in mind the $400 service when negotiating the final price with the seller.

+1
    compression test is 120
    320 for preseason package
    129 for battery

that alone comes out to $569 without tax
    not mention other things that need to be done with it before I take it out this season

+1
    You can buy a compression guage for @ 50$ and do it yourself.
    Any auto parts store has them.

+1
    Check the oil dipstick-- black is OK- time for a change but milky=water in oil. Smells burnt- ran too hot.
    Get a compression tester from auto parts. Significant difference between cyl= problem.
    When its running on the water, listen when accelerating-- you should hear the supercharger "wistle/whine" as the RPM"s go up.
    That model should have similar acceleration to your 04.
    Should you decide to buy it-- don't ride it until you pull the SC and send it off to Jerry to rebuild. There's good instructions in the forum on how to pull it

Take a good look at the impeller/wear ring. Note any deep gouges and wear in the ring. Look at what you can see of the impeller. Look for bent edges and chunks out of the wear ring. Bent=replace or retune=$ If its just the wear ring normal wear--replace it. Again, info on the forums about how to do this. I change mine at least once a season.

Dealer prices for "preseason package" include changing oil, coolant, plugs-IMO, that's money to use for rebuilding the SC or more gas to ride ! - Buy the parts from the Greenhulk store here and do it yourself one afternoon.

I saw you posted you're not up on ski maintainence. Many of these are DIY, especially with the instructions gained from here.

Thread Information