Putting 4tec case back together, where to put gasket maker?

When I took this motor apart, there was gasket on every surface...around the perimeter, around all the main bolts, etc. Where all do I have to put this stuff to get the case back together? Thanks for the help!

+1
    Basically on all the surface that mates to the other side , don't over do it as u don't want any to get into the motor blocking up oil holes etc ...

Use the "RIGHT STUFF " by Permatex ...

Try to get hold of a workshop manual , guessing on these motors will cost u ....

+1
    Slasher is right. You are pissing in the dark without a shop manual, especially on a rebuild. I bought a brand new, OEM Seadoo manual (for my mode)on eBay for $40 and it is worth it's weight in gold. At any rate, I used Yamabond between my case halves.
    Last edited by Ski Hacks MG; 05-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by SLASHER View Post
    Basically on all the surface that mates to the other side , don't over do it as u don't want any to get into the motor blocking up oil holes etc ...

Use the "RIGHT STUFF " by Permatex ...

Try to get hold of a workshop manual , guessing on these motors will cost u ....
    I personally think that using Right Stuff is a really bad idea on a 4TEC case. The viscosity is too thick, and the skin time is too quick. The only good application for the Right Stuff is on dodgy old 2 stroke cases that don't fit very well.

What happens if you use a product with too-thick viscosity? Spun main bearings for one....

You are better off using a product specifically designed for this purpose, like the products made by Three Bond. I like Three Bond 1211 the best, but others like products made by Threebond for the japanese bike makers, like Yamabond or Hondabond.

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Slasher is right. You are pissing in the dark without a shop manual, especially on a rebuild. I bought a brand new, OEM Seadoo manual (for my mode)on eBay for $40 and it is worth it's weight in gold. At any rate, I used Yamalube between my case halves.
    I know you are fairly new to working on 4TEC's, but please do not give advice if you are new. Yamalube should never be used on case halves. You are going to have oil spraying out all over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Slasher is right. You are pissing in the dark without a shop manual, especially on a rebuild. I bought a brand new, OEM Seadoo manual (for my mode)on eBay for $40 and it is worth it's weight in gold. At any rate, I used Yamalube between my case halves.
    I know you are fairly new to working on 4TEC's, but please do not give advice if you are new. Yamalube should never be used on case halves. You are going to have oil spraying out all over.
    Building a 4-Tec offers no variation in the fundamentals of working on any combustion engine. Yes, I have built one 4-tec but have spent 30 of my 41 years wrenching and this is t my first rodeo. Please forgive me. I meant Yamabond. My fingers got ahead of my thought. Relax before you pop an artery in your neck brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Building a 4-Tec offers no variation in the fundamentals of working on any combustion engine. Yes, I have built one 4-tec but have spent 30 of my 41 years wrenching and this is t my first rodeo. Please forgive me. I meant Yamabond. My fingers got ahead of my thought. Relax before you pop an artery in your neck brother.
    I meant no disrespect. I simply pointed out a true statement, that you are new to 4TEC's, and said nothing about you being new to engine building. And I simply pointed out that you gave bad advice, nothing more. I always try to correct bad advice whenever I can, for the simple reason that a newbie might search on this topic in the future, see this thread, and think "hey, I know they carry Right Stuff at my local auto parts place, I will use that". (or worse, slather on some Yamalube, LOL)

You were right to affirm what Slasher said about referring to the manual to know where to put the goo, but now that you know, you can jump in when someone says to use Right Stuff and tell them otherwise.

BTW, it is not good advice to follow the manual religiously. Sea Doo manuals have lots of errors, from the wrong torque on the impeller, to the oil capacity, etc. And on the topic of case halves, all the Sea Doo manuals prior to 2001 tell you to use Loctite 515/518 on the 2-stroke case halves, which is the stupidest thing they ever did. (I think the Loctite salesman must have been giving the Rotax engineers free BJ's or something to have them spec something this asinine...) There are tons of people out there today going down to their local auto parts place to buy a tube of 518 to put their 951 case together, because their 1999 manual says so....

+1
    Until several folks I know recommended Yamabond, I had never really used anything from Yamaha except their Yamalube on my 450f back in 2005 so I had it stuck in my head when I typed it out. I agree completely about the manual. I have noticed several things that are questionable. At any rate, no offense taken. I have very thick skin. Maybe just lighten up on your approach when you point out others' mistakes. I promise you will benefit from it in the long run.

PS, I am quite sure that even if you hadn't pointed out my mistake, a noob wouldn't likely assemble their cases with Yamalube, LOL.

Thread Information