Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Florida dirt bike rider....getting a ski!

OK......awesome forum. Been a member for a bit. I do have a small sea doo jet boat and a large yamaha jet boat(232 limited) so not totally new to the jet propulsion.

I have never had a ski. Only rented one in key west last year. It was great, loved it, water was mild chop, didn't bother me at all. Because of my dirt bike background I stood up the whole time, never sat, just like I do on my bike(I ride alot of whoops), had it pinned most of the time. It was a yamaha ski, don't know the model, but from my current reading guessing it was a vx of some sort.

I am on a few forums like most of you all. I see some great advice and some not so great.....normally I have enough experience in the sport to tell the difference, but here I am a noob. I could tell you the best motorcycle tire for florida sand but have no clue as to best life jacket, etc.

I'm going to ski in the ocean, st pete, clearwater, egmont key areas. Reading about all the musclecrafts, different hulls, engines, weights......really cool stuff! Do I really want a hull that knifes through the water and a heavy ski? I kinda like the idea of small jumps off every wave....with a lighter weight ski! My mind is spinning......kawi 300, seadoo gtr or rpx, yamaha sho or vxr.......all great rides I'm sure.

On the bike I like riding hard for 2 hours rather than riding soft for 4 hours.....I'm sure I will feel the same way on the ski.

Is the lighter ski more fun than the heavier ski???

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Best bet is to find a Dealer that will let you test drive several different skis....Only you know what you like....

+1
    Hello and welcome back to the Hulk. I too used to race dirt bikes. Fell off a lot and took a few trees with me Ha Ha. As for skis if you choose to ride in ocean you most likely will find the bigger - heavier skis like Yammies VX or FZ or Kawai 300 to provide the best ride in chop & wild bad ass speed. Try to test ride if you can. Also consider a late model used ski maybe with some warnenty left on it. It will be much cheaper entry cost up front. Good Luck ... lets us know what ski you choose. P.S. I ride lakes so I went for the ski that was silly fast & mnimble like my old dirt bikes. Yammy GPR

+1
    Kawasaki 300x. It has the most power and best acceleration on your list. It also rides very good in the chop. My second choice would be a VXR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    Kawasaki 300x. It has the most power and best acceleration on your list. It also rides very good in the chop. My second choice would be a VXR.
    This is my plan! Or the LX300.....any reason not to get an LX over an x?

+1
    man ive been rippin it up on dirtbikes since i was a kid...good to see another moto rider hoppin on a ski. I have to agree with your riding style. Run it hard for 2 hours rather than pussy footin it for 4!

As much as i hate to say this i still am.....if your gonna do any serious chop/ocean riding you should look into an Ultra. Those things take the gold when it comes to rough waters. My RXP is way faster and has way more mods available to slap on it but as soon as i hit even medium chop i can really feel it.... and regardless of how well you can hold on the chop will beat you up. Yamaha's are cool skis too but i really dont know enough about the sho or vxr. i know they are super reliable and defintely an option for like the wifey/girlfriend.

if you got the loot for one of the newer RXPX's or another one of the seadoos with the suspension set up on the hull those would be sweet in the chop.

-Get an ultra if you want something fast and good in the chop that you wont ever really mod
    -Grab a newer seadoo if you want something for chop, or grab a used RXP if you like to jump and want to mod the crap out of it lol.
    -Get a yamaha if you want something thats kinda in-between the two options above.

Also go ride em all and see what you like the best!

+1
    Yes....leaning towards an Ultra 300x or lx! 2 hours hard is my hare scramble mentality from dirt biking!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwood View Post
    Yes....leaning towards an Ultra 300x or lx! 2 hours hard is my hare scramble mentality from dirt biking!
    I'm sure you would prefer the x over the lx. The lx is the same, but with a seat made more for cruising. It's got a big hump/ back support that would get in your way while riding hard.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwood View Post
    I'm sure you would prefer the x over the lx. The lx is the same, but with a seat made more for cruising. It's got a big hump/ back support that would get in your way while riding hard.
    I agree. For the ocean riding you would want the X seat over the LX seat. other than that the colors and the handle bar pad are the only differences.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Also, the X is 60 gallons of storage while the LX has 56.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information