Thread: What paint??

+1

What paint??

Hi all, my name is Chris, I've been lurking around for a little while and recently picked up a '96 750zxi. I've had a few skis throughout the years a couple stand ups and a few sit downs. I've been away from jet skis for a few years but I guess I couldn't stay away. Anyway, I found the boat locally on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up. The engine has about 160psi on both cylinders and is very clean. The mirrors are a little chalked up, the seat cover needs to be replaced and there are some stains on the rub rails. I plan on using the ski as a shuttle from the family boat to shore while at anchor and just messing around, taking the kids for rides around the anchorage and stuff. Which brings me to my original question. I'd like the color scheme to match the scheme of my boat(red/black). I was planning on a red seat, with possibly red sponsons(easy enough). I want to paint the rubrail, grab handle, nose, etc all black, along with the hood mirrors and gauge pod. I know I could buy new oem stuff from the factory but that would run me almost double of what I got the ski and trailer for. What kind of paint/primer would stick to the rub rails best. Thanks for any help I can get. Chris

+1
    Color rite sells OEM...It is just automotive paint.. It is what I have used for touch up and it looks great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Resko 1 View Post
    Hi all, my name is Chris, I've been lurking around for a little while and recently picked up a '96 750zxi. I've had a few skis throughout the years a couple stand ups and a few sit downs. I've been away from jet skis for a few years but I guess I couldn't stay away. Anyway, I found the boat locally on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up. The engine has about 160psi on both cylinders and is very clean. The mirrors are a little chalked up, the seat cover needs to be replaced and there are some stains on the rub rails. I plan on using the ski as a shuttle from the family boat to shore while at anchor and just messing around, taking the kids for rides around the anchorage and stuff. Which brings me to my original question. I'd like the color scheme to match the scheme of my boat(red/black). I was planning on a red seat, with possibly red sponsons(easy enough). I want to paint the rubrail, grab handle, nose, etc all black, along with the hood mirrors and gauge pod. I know I could buy new oem stuff from the factory but that would run me almost double of what I got the ski and trailer for. What kind of paint/primer would stick to the rub rails best. Thanks for any help I can get. Chris
    you have to use adhesive promoter or plastic primer before you aply your paint colour.

+1
    I had planned on using a primer. I guess maybe I should rephrase my question. What brand primer and finish coat will work best and not chip easily on the plastics?

The ski will be seeing light duty and wont be bounced around a lot or be tied to any docks, so impacts aren't an issue. Just whatever water pressure it will see from running and my powerwasher. Thanks. Chris

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Resko 1 View Post
    I had planned on using a primer. I guess maybe I should rephrase my question. What brand primer and finish coat will work best and not chip easily on the plastics?

The ski will be seeing light duty and wont be bounced around a lot or be tied to any docks, so impacts aren't an issue. Just whatever water pressure it will see from running and my powerwasher. Thanks. Chris
    Too many brands too matter.
    Call your local automotive paint supplier.
    Which ever brand they use on car bumbers is fine.

+1
    Ok thanks. Just wasn't sure if there was any perfered brand for use on the water. Thanks a bunch. Chris

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    What color are they now? If they are black you can hit them with a heat gun and bring out the oils in the plastics to restore them, the apply a trim sealant over the top (I use mothers back to black). If they are a different color I would recommend using something flexible for the trim or getting an adhesive "race rub rail" TBM sells one for the ultra that would be more than enough, it runs around $100 but should do almost 2 of any older ski. If you want to paint them back use a bumper paint (as mentioned) or plastidip (available in several colors) or a spray on bedliner in a can (cheap easy to touch up and sticks to almost anything, durable too). If you want to do the stuff in red you will need to get plastic paint (krylon fusion sticks well to clean plastic (no wax or grease)) or use an adhesion promoter.

Check blacktip (sbt's in house seat cover guys) Jetpilot (I think they do seats) or Hydroturf (my favorite but their covers are a VERY tight fit) for the seat cover.

For paint on the hull I highly recommend Interlux Brightsides, its a single stage paint that can be brushed on (it has flattening agents to get you a smooth finish if the directions are followed) or sprayed (very forgiving finish) and comes out very glossy if done correctly.

Its pretty simple to make these skis look as good as new.

Good luck,

Sean

+1
    Smokeyseven, thanks. The plastics are purple now, and I was gonna do them all in black. Black mats, the hood and gauge pod plastics all black and a red seat. There are a few vinyl shops around, so I may see about doing the seat cover myself. I have an electric staple gun and stainless staples. The seat cover is pretty much in tact so i can use it as a pattern, just really faded and purple.
    For now I just want to freshen up the look of this thing. As I said it is just a shuttle, and a much more fun alternative to an inflatable dinghy. My wife doesn't want me putting a lot of money into it, as I have a few other toys that already occupy enough of our money.
    My last ski was a 750sx that I had put a pipe, head, water box, carb, ride plate and scoop grate on wich really woke the ski up. I would like to do some of that to this ski but that will have to wait. For now it will be all cosmetic. Luckily my wife has a bit of OCD and would like the ski to match the boat too, so I have the green light to do it. Thanks for the input. Chris

Thread Information