+1

transom plate sealant ?

thinking about pulling the transom plate on my fzr and filling voids/aligning better today i think i will be using the marine epoxy that jerry used in his write up awhile back but is 5200 the best to use when sealing it back up?also how much should i use just fill the channels of the transom with it?

+1
    thinking of filling the channels of the transom plate with 5200 and some right stuff around the rest?

+1
    If you don't ever plan on taking your transom plate back off use 5200. Otherwise you can use Yama bond or something similar. Once you tighten it down, the channels should fill themselves if you put enough sealant.

Edit. Just saw right stuff, that works fine.

+1
    I've switched to Right Stuff, & it's been MUCH better than the 3M products for holding up to high pressure. It's also a lot less messy to work with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I've switched to Right Stuff, & it's been MUCH better than the 3M products for holding up to high pressure. It's also a lot less messy to work with.
    i notice alot of people use 5200 i didnt wanna go that route incase i have to remove the transom plate but im sure that stuff wont blow out think the right stuff will hold up and not blow out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wave15stx View Post
    i notice alot of people use 5200 i didnt wanna go that route incase i have to remove the transom plate but im sure that stuff wont blow out think the right stuff will hold up and not blow out?
    It holds up better than 5200 IMO.

+1
    Really? Because I'm about to resort to explosives to get my transom off, which is sealed on be 5200. If the right stuff holds better, then f that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Really? Because I'm about to resort to explosives to get my transom off, which is sealed on be 5200. If the right stuff holds better, then f that.
    It may create a much better seal and hold up more in that matter rather than adhering as well. We use liquid gasket all the time for certain types of wheel seals and even though it doesn't do the same as an adhesive type sealant it's a much better choice and the seals hold up far better than the ones put on by the "caulk crew"... I don't know if this stuff is similar but it's just an example of two different things used for the same goal.

+1
    thinking about using right stuff ive used it in the past and it seems to hold up well im sure its better then the factory sealant they used

Thread Information