Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 SLH ignition advice

Hey everyone,
    A little about my situation first.. I purchased this ski a little over a year ago (1999 SLH 700). The guy said it ran or whatever but it had been sitting. Before even trying to start the ski I tore it down, put a new top end in it, replaced the fuel lines, added new fuel filter, and did a fresh carb rebuild. Since then the ski has been OK - not great - but okay. I've been battling this 1/4 throttle bog since I got everything together. It idles well and runs good up top but ill have to feather the throttle to get it up and out of the water. Choke gets it out of the water quick and I was really thrown off by this. The engine runs really rich as is. I always suspected it was fuel related, however, after going through the carburetor diligently and checking aperture height pop off pressure and what not I am confident this is not the case. Had the ski out yesterday and checked the plugs..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130510_112241_145_zpsde41159a.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	300807
    Looking dry and sooty. No pictures of the piston wash - sorry. But they still look brand new! Very little carbon residue on the pistons. Awhile back my girlfriend - who has an extraordinary sense of smell - said it smells gassy or oily when it runs. My response to that was simply "Its a 2 stroke" but perhaps she was on to something.. I've long dismissed the ignition issues that these models have but I've got no where else to turn at this point. I've read that people were paying ~300 for the update kits but all I can find online at the moment is this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Polaris-...859#vi-content
    Pretty steep. Ski is at the cottage right now and I cant be certain if it actually has the update but I think not. Ill have to check for handwritten numbers on the CDI next time I'm there. Really just looking for some feedback here. Is there anything I am over looking? Do I seem to be going in the right direction? Anywhere I can find a cheaper update kit? And just as a reference, what is the proper spark plug gap?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Last edited by nayr301; 05-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Update will have orange spark plug boots, plain and simply put.

Banned User
    +1
    If pulling the choke helps, its not ignition related. That means its not getting enough fuel. Try opening your low speed screws 1/4 turn. You should notice a difference. Open them up until it responds correctly. If it spits and sputters before clearing out and going, you opened them too far.

I do not have the orange plug boots. I hope it is the carbs because I really don't want to spend so much money on the kit. I know its lean at 1/4 throttle considering the use of choke but it doesn't add up. The pistons are so clean! I cant imagine having to buy smaller jets. I just cant wrap my head around it. I'm going do what BryanP said in the mean time. I've got a bunch of fresh plugs lying around and ill pop some new ones in if I have any luck dialing in the low speed screws. If I'm still having trouble ill post pictures of fresh plugs and piston wash. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by nayr301; 05-12-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    And as far as the ignition kit.....I would part out my ski before I would pay that jack ass that kind of money for the ignition update.

+1
    Is the accelerator pump working? Is it squirting fuel in both carbs? If so right off the bottom or does it take some movement?

Banned User
    +1
    I dont think the 99 700s had accelerator pumps. I know mine doesn't

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I dont think the 99 700s had accelerator pumps. I know mine doesn't
    I did not even pay attention to the year and model....yeah only some twins had pumps....early ones did but later ones did not...see what happens when you get old

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i thought the 99 SLH did have the accl pumps and thats exactly what i was thicking as well,no fuel spray.the choke would help that.common problem with the keihin carbs,especially if they've been sitting.

I wish I had an accelerator pump. It would probably help alot in this situation but, for whatever reason, polaris did not include the pumps on this model. At least not mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information