Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Sender

+1

Fuel Sender

I put a new fuel sender in my ski this past weekend. The weekend before my gauge was blinking low fuel, even with a full tank. So I go ride yesterday with the new sender and it shows a full tank even when I only have a few gallons left. My first thought was it would take a few minutes to get settled and read properly and hitting a few bumps on the highway or a few waves would get it unstuck. At the end of the day it still showed a full tank. Any thoughts? Maybe it is my display that is acting up? Thanks.

I think it is the gauge , on checking the gauge ,my raider has different rings that add resistance to the final value of the sending signal, when the rings are raised or lowered it adds or subtracts the final value sent to the gauge, the senders can be checked with an ohm meter, the manual gives you the values at different float levels, if all checks good more than likely it is the gauge, after 2 senders ,I would think it is the gauge....is your gauge for a GP or a Raider..the resistance is different giving different readings when installed ,even though they plug in the same
    Last edited by BULLRAIDER; 02-26-2007 at 09:42 AM.

+1
    The gauge is for a GP.

Man it has been a long day , what I ment to ask is ...is the SENDING unit for the GP?, I had to add resistance to mine to make it work with a GP gauge

+1
    I went to the original parts finder on boats.net and ordered it. I assume it is for a GP. They revised it from the original sender on the 97, there is even a note about it on boats.net, next to the part number.

Just to be sure ,is the resistance with the floats all the way down and all the way up,the same on both sending units, believe me ,i have seen the same lookig senders have different resistance , check that first.

+1
    It is a pain in the arse changing that sender. First I had to unbolt the tank straps. Then I called my cousin over (TheDome). He pushed and tilted the tank back and I pulled the old sender out. It barely came out. It was bending the neck of the tank where the sender is. We both tried tilting the tank back so the new sender could be slid in. It was not going in without risking damaging it. We had to take the entire hood of and move the handlebars out of the way. I'm sure changing a fuel sender on a Raider is much easier because the entire hood tilts up and out of the way.

yes the raider is a lot easier, ok here is a plan, if it is full measure the resistance of the sender with it in the tank , then shipon out the fuel and take the readings, if they are close to the other sending unit turned up side down and right side up , it more than likley is the gauge...not to rub it in but ...look on top of the tank.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vent hose pinched off.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	17497  

+1
    Nice pic there good buddy. Does the old sender have to be plugged into the connector to check it or no? I have not done much electrical trouble shooting in a while, excuse my ignorance. I can help make people go faster though, or rebuild engines/carbs, lol.

No neither has to be plugged in , just hard to turn the ski upside down to check the one in the ski.LOL...... just check them with an ohm meter, to ground,give me a day and i can walk you through it, i have to find my 1200 manual, ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information