Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Not a good day on the water!

First of all I have a 05 RXT that is driven in salt water.

I hope I just didn't trash my ski...but today I drove it with no issues until I turned it off to take a break. I went to leave and it wouldn't start. It usually goes through the gauge reset and starts beeping indicating that it's ready to start but instead I got nothing. When I removed the key the gauges started to slowly move to a point that went beyond it's normal ranges.

Then I had it towed back to the dock and thought nothing of it until I started reading on this site that it can potentially take on water without pinching a certain line on the engine. I guess at this point, I'm more worried about what could have happened with the tow and if I need to do anything right now before something happens. Then I need to know how can I reset the gauges back to there "home" position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-11_20-13-20_76.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	300830  

Sorry to hear things did not go well.

IF, I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but IF water made its way into the engine while towing, the faster you take action the better.

Do NOT try starting the engine until you know it is free of water. Plug dipstick and check for water. Remove plugs, crank motor and check for water coming out of cylinders. If you detect water start flushing the engine of water. A quick google will bring up many approaches to do this. The sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeypwc View Post
    Sorry to hear things did not go well.

IF, I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but IF water made its way into the engine while towing, the faster you take action the better.

Do NOT try starting the engine until you know it is free of water. Plug dipstick and check for water. Remove plugs, crank motor and check for water coming out of cylinders. If you detect water start flushing the engine of water. A quick google will bring up many approaches to do this. The sooner the better.
    Thanks for the reply, I checked the dipstick and everything looks good. Unfortunately I'm unable to crank the motor since my ski isn't giving me anything in the instrument panel other than what my original pic shows. I put a meter on the battery and it's showing a full charge.

+1
    Try another batt just to make sure could be bad under load is it oem?

+1
    Disconnect the battery lead then connect it back.
    It might help reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by IBADTON View Post
    Try another batt just to make sure could be bad under load is it oem?
    The battery isn't an oem. It's a sealed battery that's almost 3yrs old.

I disconnected and re-connected the battery and the gauges only go 1/4 clockwise which puts it on the wrong side of the "pin" on the gauge. Not sure how to make it go counter clockwise back to home.

Since you can not crank it, remove the sparks plugs and blow some compressed air into the hole. If water comes out, start flushing the engine anyway possible. Motors like oil, diesel fuel, kerosene...way better than water.

If you don't detect water, you likely caused no harm what-so-ever towing. The slower the tow, the less likely a problem.

If you have a voltmeter, hook it up to the battery, try to crank, and read the voltage. Hopefully all that is wrong is an electrical problem...potentially as simple as a bad battery.

Focus on assuring there is no water in the engine, and if there is, flush it pronto. If no water, relax from a bad!

+1
    Batteries in Florida only last @ 2 years.
    I bet your battery is toast.

Get a good sealed battery from batteries +
    Ive found that batterys + has quality batteries at a little bit cheaper price.
    Don't try to jump start your ski you can fry some electronics....

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Joeypwc View Post
    Since you can not crank it, remove the sparks plugs and blow some compressed air into the hole. If water comes out, start flushing the engine anyway possible. Motors like oil, diesel fuel, kerosene...way better than water.

If you don't detect water, you likely caused no harm what-so-ever towing. The slower the tow, the less likely a problem.

If you have a voltmeter, hook it up to the battery, try to crank, and read the voltage. Hopefully all that is wrong is an electrical problem...potentially as simple as a bad battery.

Focus on assuring there is no water in the engine, and if there is, flush it pronto. If no water, relax from a bad!
    I removed the plugs as you suggested and ran some air into the holes. No water came out to my relief.

I took a voltage reading from the battery and once I put the key on, it jumped down to 5v.

Like wotxxxsd posted, I'm going to try another battery...my last one was from batteries + and I guess that by using a battery tender on it, I was able to get a little more than 2yrs out of it.

I'll let you know tomorrow how things go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information