Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 Polaris SLTX charging issues

I'm trying to fix a friends SLTX with 1050, it doesn't seem to be charging the battery at all. Does it sound like I need the update kit#2873091? I'm not very experienced with a multimeter, but I followed the instructions with the one thread on how to check it using an ohm meter and how to check the hall sensors. However I'm not 100% sure I was doing it right because the reading on my multimeter never changed. The only time it changed at all was when I had the 9v battery hooked up to the stator wires and I was checking the hall sensor by rotating the motor slowly. When I first touched the probe to a stator wire it would briefly spike, but when I was rotating the motor it didn't change at all.

I did a couple more tests today, as per the manual and found that the alternator is putting out 20-25 VAC which the manual says it's supposed to be. However, when I check the DCV at the battery while it's running it is only at 12V, not the 14.5 that the manual states. Does this mean the regulator/rectifier is bad?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hink320 View Post
    I did a couple more tests today, as per the manual and found that the alternator is putting out 20-25 VAC which the manual says it's supposed to be. However, when I check the DCV at the battery while it's running it is only at 12V, not the 14.5 that the manual states. Does this mean the regulator/rectifier is bad?
    LR voltage regulator module is probably the cause.

Verify the LR module is properly hooked up and actually grounded. If all LR wire connections are good, including to the stator Yellow wire, and the stator Red/Purple wire is connected to battery power, then replace the LR module.

Thanks, where's the best place to get one of the LR modules?

+1
    See the Parts Sources links from my signature

+1
    I should have good used one, PM me if interested....

I installed a new LR module and fired it up and put my volt meter on the battery and it only reads around 12.3 volts even when it's revved up, whereas the manual says it should be about 14.5 volts. I checked it before I replaced the module and I think it was only about 10 or 11 volts before. Should my volt meter read 14.5 volts across the battery terminals when it's running or is 12.3 sufficient?

+1
    I installed a new LR module and fired it up and put my volt meter on the battery and it only reads around 12.3 volts even when it's revved up, whereas the manual says it should be about 14.5 volts. I checked it before I replaced the module and I think it was only about 10 or 11 volts before. Should my volt meter read 14.5 volts across the battery terminals when it's running or is 12.3 sufficient?
    Battery charging voltage needs to be above 13.5 volts with engine running, and normally is closer to 14.5 volts

Was the LR module actually new?

Recheck the ground connection for the LR module. Make sure it really is grounded.

Next, disconnect and ohm check the stator charging coil, Yellow to Red/Purple stator wires. Make sure it is not shorted to engine ground.

Last, reconnect stator and confirm, with engine OFF, that the Yellow wire at the LR module has full battery voltage.

Also confirm that the Red/Purple wire at the LR module also has full battery voltage.

+1
    What was your battery voltage "at rest" / Was the battery charged ?

For a battery to charge you need 1 volt or better, over batt voltage.
    Meaning, you could have a battery demanding a high charge- thus lowering the actual charging voltage.
    These watercraft charging systems are not very strong, like 5-10 amps.

Yes, with a new-fully charged- high quality battery, you should see 13.6- 14.6

In response to your first post, you said that you checked the hall effect sensors with an ohm meter. The hall sensors are for ignition and not for charging. A coil is used for charging.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information