just bought 88 js550

I was on CL looking for a fun project when I came across this 88 js550 story was It sat for years but "should" start the guy I got it from was really cool and a mechanic but just lost interest in it. last reg was from 96. It was dirty as heck so I washed is and hit it with some HONDA spray cleaner/polish if you've never used it get it it's awesome! Anyway I looked at the motor it was all there and had west coast something on the motor and Coffman racing something else and obvious intake grate and ride plate so someone loved it at one point. I went to my local boat shop got a few plugs and a can of sea foam I pulled the plugs looked in side and the dome of the piston was clean and I could easily read the markings on top although I forgot what it said sprayed the cylinders with the sea foam put in the new plugs. The battery was dead so I jumped it with my friends honda I bumped the starter just to see if the motor was free, sure enough it was. I tossed some premix i had for my banshee and hoped I'd hear a sputter or a start and stall. well I got neither what I got (to my surprise) was a ski that started instantly idled nice and rev'd great. I could not believe my eyes this skis sat for years and acted as if it was only a day. I plan on painting it and swapping throttle and steering cables and Putting some hydro turff on it I can't wait to take it out!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg 
Views:	1030 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	300884

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would suggest you drain the old fuel and consider cleaning the carbs internally. New fuel hoses might be a good idea.

1996 was a long time ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would suggest you drain the old fuel and consider cleaning the carbs internally. New fuel hoses might be a good idea.

1996 was a long time ago ...
    Who ever had it was smart the fuel tank was bone dry but good thinking on that carb ill break it down and see how it looks. I ha e some new fuel line sitting in the garage ill pop on there too thanks for the input

Thread Information