Thread: Need SL750 help

Need SL750 help

I need to gather some parts for this 1994 SL750 that I'm working on. From what I can see, it has Mikuni carbs, so I assume they are SBN's? I need to get 3 kits, correct? I thought the SBN had a fuel pump built in, but the ski looks like it has an external pump.

I also need to get a driveshaft and cupler. Should I buy a new one? Can I get away with used? Is there an aftermarket alterative that is better?

The last part I need is the prop. What is a good, aftermarket prop that is on the inexpensive side?

Are there any tips on what else I should do while I have the motor out of the ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz Mon View Post
    I need to gather some parts for this 1994 SL750 that I'm working on. From what I can see, it has Mikuni carbs, so I assume they are SBN's? I need to get 3 kits, correct? I thought the SBN had a fuel pump built in, but the ski looks like it has an external pump.

I also need to get a driveshaft and cupler. Should I buy a new one? Can I get away with used? Is there an aftermarket alterative that is better?

The last part I need is the prop. What is a good, aftermarket prop that is on the inexpensive side?

Are there any tips on what else I should do while I have the motor out of the ski?
    Well since you have motor out now is the time to do some work on that engine. Get some reed spacers and carbon fiber reeds. That will wake the engine up. Also some ocean pro flame arrestors. With the reeds you could prolly run a nujet 5.0.

Your carbs should be rebuilt with genuine mikuni kits that you can get from john zigler. Along with a triplw fuel pump. You can use a used driveshaft and coupler as long as they are in good condition. I might have both. You could also put a long pump on it...

I want to keep it basically stock with the exception of maybe a prop. But I don't k ow what pitch to get.

+1
    you will be amazed what reeds and spacers will do. and its pretty cheap to do it. that will help you put a more aggressive pitch on that prop and get that ski going, I have a 04 SLT750 going 51-52 and for a ski with that big of an ass...its doing well!

I think the goal here is to get it running, and running good before we start doing aftermarket stuff.

+1
    I have carb kits, triple fuel pump upgrade kits, NEW impellers, some used impellers, new drive shafts, good couplers, fuel line, new fuel select sws, fuel tank floats, new reed pedals, all needed gaskets, and more......

Sorry though, but I am out of the shop until Monday May 20th. I would be happy to help as soon as I get back.

Give me a call at the shop after the 20th, thank you

Thanks John! I was actually going to call you about this

+1
    3 genuine mikuni carb kits, a new triple outlet fuel pump,21 feet of fuel line, 2 new fuel filters, oil filter if using oil pump, is the bare minimum to start woth.
    A fuel selector o ring is a good idea too. Pull the tank and clean if spotlessly and replace the 2 fuel lines if so equipped . Others may have a fuel pickup all aluminum. If you have just 2 lines in the tank....remebrr which one is longer! The longer one is your reserve. The shorter is the main. Don't confuse them or else you won't have a reserve!!!. They should have weightrd screens on both of them. Mine fell off.

Use Beerdarts fuel system routing diagram.get rid of thevautp cock in the original system.throwbit away.

Keep the reserve line restrictor for the new reserve line and put it back in. Its located with a black tiewrap around it just off the rear of the motor on top. Cut that out and keep it.
    Be careful with removing the oil pump rod. Its held on with a nylon clip that can break easily.

Keep the pulse line under 12 inches or less going to the fuel pump. Some guys use reinforced hose so it doesn't collaspe.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    3 genuine mikuni carb kits, a new triple outlet fuel pump,21 feet of fuel line, 2 new fuel filters, oil filter if using oil pump, is the bare minimum to start woth.
    A fuel selector o ring is a good idea too. Pull the tank and clean if spotlessly and replace the 2 fuel lines if so equipped . Others may have a fuel pickup all aluminum. If you have just 2 lines in the tank....remebrr which one is longer! The longer one is your reserve. The shorter is the main. Don't confuse them or else you won't have a reserve!!!. They should have weightrd screens on both of them. Mine fell off.

Use Beerdarts fuel system routing diagram.get rid of thevautp cock in the original system.throwbit away.

Keep the reserve line restrictor for the new reserve line and put it back in. Its located with a black tiewrap around it just off the rear of the motor on top. Cut that out and keep it.
    Be careful with removing the oil pump rod. Its held on with a nylon clip that can break easily.

Keep the pulse line under 12 inches or less going to the fuel pump. Some guys use reinforced hose so it doesn't collaspe.
    Great info! Thanks

Thread Information