Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Winch strap loop?

Alright, time to show my ignorance...

Can someone explain the purpose of the large loop attached at the hook end of the new winch straps I'm installing.
    I'm under the impression the loop is threaded thru the bow eye to prevent scratching the gel coat.

- Is the loop just used as a temporary measure while loading and then switch over to the hook or used together?
    - I don't have any contact of the metal hook to the hull while I have tension. Loop for when there is no tension?
    - Do most use the loop or just cut it off and forget about it?

Thanks,
    SA

+1
    Most bow hooks are to small to accept the hook alone so the loop is the only way.

+1
    HA, i just found out a few weeks ago that your supposed to use that little strap and not the metal hook. The dealer told me its because the strap will break before the metal hook if the ski gets snagged on something. He said its cheaper to replace the strap then the bow hook if it pulls out of the fiberglass. I always had just used the metal hook and didnt have any issues with it rubbing the gelcoat. I guess you could call the strap a failsafe?

+1
    Its a safety strap. On the zieman and some other trailers there is a lock pin in front of the winch. This is for the loop. If your winch lock breaks or whatever, the loop is pinned and your ski will only slide a few inches. It happened to me... If the strap breaks your screwed if your rear strap comes undone because of the slack it was given. I have never used the loop as the tie down

+1
    It's not a safety strap... It is for keeping the metal hook off the fiberglass (or in case the metal hook is to big to fit)

+1
    OK, then why is there a pin on the winch bar stopper? The loop attaches to it. What else would go there & why is it there?

How are you getting the hook on the fiberglass unless you're rolling the ski up on the hook & rubber stop. You need adjustment on the bunks or winch if you're doing that... Anyway, I'll never rely on that loop to hold a 900 - 1000 lp ski.
    Last edited by ou812; 05-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.

+1
    Here's a good example.. Look how its hooked up... And no, it's not my ski...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Amazi...#ht_500wt_1182
    Last edited by ou812; 05-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.

+1
    OK, not all trailers are the same and have the same attachment. But I still wouldn't rely on that loop unless you use this.

http://www.discountramps.com/soft-loop.htm

Banned User
    +1
    The loops are plenty strong. They are there for skis that can't fit the big hook on the bow eye.

The winch line in these pictures is running OVER the roller. That does not look like a great setup. Winch lines belong UNDER the roller.That will prevent the PWC from riding over the roller and continue forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Here's a good example.. Look how its hooked up... And no, it's not my ski...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Amazi...#ht_500wt_1182

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information