Still no spark! 2001 Genesis carburetor engine

Help! I have 2 2001 genesis 1200 carb skis. 1 died during the summer with no spark. The ski was being ridden at the time. I have been following all the diag tips that I have found on the forums. According to the tests this ski should be running! I have good voltage, I have checked all the wiring as per cdi and mag tests and nothing. I have also switched the cdi box between machines and the running ski still runs, I switched the lr module and the running machine still runs! Today I did notice that the bilge pump was broken and did not work. I removed it and tested the power and it still has power when pushing button. Any one got any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    If you have tried the LR module and tried swapping the CDI, I would guess its the stator.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Disconnect gray spade connector from cdi to circuit board. NOT the gray bullet connector from CDI. If this does not solve your problem, either:

Hall effect sensors have failed
    Stator test is wrong
    Your battery voltage is low.

Recheck cranking voltage inside electrical box if at all possible. You would be surprised how sensitive these CDI's are to voltage.

Still no spark!

HELP! I have 2 2001 polaris genesis 1200. 1 died last summer while being used.

I have performed every test that I have found and gone so far as to transfer parts from 1 ski to the other including the cdi, lr module and installed a new stator.

when the machine died the pilbe pump had fallen apart. Have it disconnected in both machines and the one runs.

What am I missing?

After I replaced the stator and it didn't run I unscrewed the lr module and it "popped" twice and then did nothing.

Battery is at full charge and I've been checking for 10.6 volts as i've gone. any suggestions out there?
    Last edited by K447; 05-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackstang View Post
    ... transfer parts from 1 ski to the other including the cdi, lr module and installed a new stator.

when the machine died the pilbe pump had fallen apart. Have it disconnected in both machines and the one runs.

What am I missing?

After I replaced the stator and it didn't run I unscrewed the lr module and it "popped" twice and then did nothing.

Battery is at full charge and I've been checking for 10.6 volts as i've gone. any suggestions out there?
    Did you try swapping the battery from the working machine into the non-running machine? Sometimes a battery can appear to be strong, yet still cause problems.

What 'popped'?

Not sure what you are saying regarding the bilge pump and 'the one runs'?

Check for more than 10.6 volts at the CDI Red/Purple wire, while cranking the engine.

Hold down the Bilge button to see if that gives you spark while cranking.

I've got good voltage and I tried disconnecting the gray spade from the circuit board. To clarify, when I first started workin on this I had found that the bilge pump had literally fallen apart. the machine that runs has the bilge pump disconnected so I don't think that it is a factor unless the button was pushed when it was shorted. fuses good and the curcuit works when you push button. Last week after I put in a new stator, and it didn't start, I disconnected the lr module and the grounds that go with it and it must have had spark for a second cause it putted a couple times but not since. I also ohmed out the connection between the cdi and connector to stator. The redeadings I get at the coil seem high from your tests but are the same as the running machine so it might be my meter. You think I should swap coils and is there any way to get wires out without cutting them?

+1
    I've got good voltage ...
    Swap the known good battery in anyways. You have done so much other work, would be a shame to be chasing your tail if it turns out to be a battery related issue.

Speaking of battery voltage, check the voltage right at the CDI while cranking. You need more than 10.6 volts at the CDI to have spark. Red meter probe to Red/Purple CDI wire, Black meter probe to the Black CDI wire.

Tip: Spark only for an instant right when you release the Start button is a common indication of a weak battery.

Also make sure the ignition kill wire is not grounded. Yellow/Black wire to the CDI

You should bypass the LR Start/Stop module until you get the engine running.

how do you by pass lr?

+1

LR-505 Start/Stop module bypass methods (carburetor engines)

how do you by pass lr?
    Search is your friend

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...05#post2152781

Thread Information