96 GSX 787 that sat winterized for 8 years.. What to look for...

So I got a seadoo gsx 787 that's hull is in showroom shape, 95 hours that was winterized in 2005 and never touched again (paid 150 for it)

Right away I noticed that the steering, throttle and choke are corroded and locked.
    Also the carbs have some good corrosion on them... This was fogged by a dealer but they stored it with no ventilation for 8 years (never took the seat off)..

so I put a fresh battery in it, the electronics powered right up, took the plugs out and noticed a little rusting on the tips of the plugs.. Turned it over at first it turned slow for 1-2 rotations... I sprayed more fogging oil in it and it started to turn faster and faster...then I got 152/156 compression in the cylinders...

Since there is so much corrosion in the compartment, and a bit of corrosion on the tips of the plugs... Should I be tearing this motor down and replacing everything? Or fire it up.. Refog it and run it? Or is there another idea on this..?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jayp0209 View Post
    So I got a seadoo gsx 787 that's hull is in showroom shape, 95 hours that was winterized in 2005 and never touched again (paid 150 for it)

Right away I noticed that the steering, throttle and choke are corroded and locked.
    Also the carbs have some good corrosion on them... This was fogged by a dealer but they stored it with no ventilation for 8 years (never took the seat off)..

so I put a fresh battery in it, the electronics powered right up, took the plugs out and noticed a little rusting on the tips of the plugs.. Turned it over at first it turned slow for 1-2 rotations... I sprayed more fogging oil in it and it started to turn faster and faster...then I got 152/156 compression in the cylinders...

Since there is so much corrosion in the compartment, and a bit of corrosion on the tips of the plugs... Should I be tearing this motor down and replacing everything? Or fire it up.. Refog it and run it? Or is there another idea on this..?
    honestly.. first thing i would do is swap out the grey fuel lines in there for some black ones..clean out the old gas in the tank and put fresh.. take the carbs off and clean them and the fuel selector and try and fire it up.. i dont think the compression is bad for that motor..

Yea that stuffs a definite, new lines, rebuilt carbs and selector valve. Also going to throw in new cables.. My worry was the internals of the motor.. And if they even stand a chance since it was fogged... 8 years ago...

+1
    I had a ski like that. I cleaned the fuel system and the skis been running strong for 4 years. Run some extra oil and go for it. These motors can handle some serious abuse!

Thread Information