1996 polaris 900

hi, i have a 96 900 sl runs fine out of the water but it olny runs 10mph in water. compression is good,cut 1/4 " off end of plug wires and redid them.there's a tan wire thats not hooked to anything that i think is supposed to go to the thermostat but mine doesn't have one on the water log.could this be sendding it into limp mode or does this ski have a limp mode?any help would be greatly appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any warning light on the MFD display?

Do you have compression and spark in all three cylinders?

Has this engine ever run properly for you?

What maintenance and service history?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

i bought it without riding it.the guy said it ran good.comp is 125 on all 3 cyl.no warning lights on mfd.shoul the tan wire be grounded?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

i bought it without riding it. the guy said it ran good.comp is 125 on all 3 cyl. no warning lights on mfd.

should the tan wire be grounded?
    Tan wire, when grounded, will force engine into RPM limited mode. Tan wire should NOT be grounded for normal engine operation.

So Fuel and Oil level readings on the MFD display are ABOVE 1/4 full, and the display does not say HOT, correct?

What RPM does it reach on the water? Is the engine screaming but the jet pump not thrusting, or is the engine RPM rather low despite squeezing the throttle?

Do all three cylinders get equally warm?

fuel and oil readings are above 1.4, the rpm's in the water are low about 2500.not sure on the cylinders,havent had a chance to get it back in the water been working 14 hrs a day.thanks for helping me. i would really like to get it figured out so i might can ride one day

Banned User
    +1
    First thing you can try is to disconnect the grey wire from the CDI to the terminal board. The limiter is at 4200 RPM I believe. If its in limp mode it will run up to 4200 RPM and then sound like its misfiring. My SL 900 would randomly go into limp mode, turns out it was the LR module in the box. I disconnected it altogether, so I had no more limp mode and all is well. My MFD works perfectly, so I will still see any warnings that may come up. Look at the part number on the CDI box while you are in the electric box and let us know what it is. If its the original ignition system, it may need to be updated.

Finally got a chance to open the cdi on the polaris the part number i got is at the bottom of the curcit board.it is 4040068 rev-2.does the rev-2 mean it's been updated.again thanks for your help.i don't have alot of money and my girlfriend (we've been living together 11 yrs) has breast cancer and the shot she gets every week is 4000.00 and our part is 880.00 so things are kinda tight.I DISCONNECTED THE GREY WIRE.HOPE TO GET IT TO THE LAKE THIS WEEKEND AND TRY IT

+1
    You can run and rev it up on trailer to check if RPM goes beyond 4k range or not. If you see 5000 RPM or more then it's not the limiter, time to look for issue else where like fuel system.
    Just make sure NOT to run it more than 10 seconds.

it revs to 7500-7800 on the trailer.what about the fuel system.the guy i got it from had the fuel line hooked up wrong.do you have a diagram showing the fuel lines. i think i got them hooked up right.he had the vent line going to one of the carbs.has the ignition system been updated?could it be the crankshaft out of phase? someone told me that.i've bought a new wear ring going to put it on this weekend if i get time. the a/c on the camper isn't working got to get it working or we can't stay the night

+1
    Here's the fuel routing at the carbs:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...php?t=172823#4

Also, here's the link to similar problem that a member had:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198580
    Last edited by loonatik; 06-14-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: more info

Thread Information