Head Gasket Replacement for 08 RXTX

The head gasket on my ski is weeping externally towards the rear of the engine. I have never taken a 4tec apart before. I have done lots of work on 2 stroke models and I am confident in my skill level to tackle this job. Any special tools? Will I need to replace the head bolts? Any recommendations for the parts, OEM or aftermaket? (the ski is bone stock) If you are familiar with working on these skis, please chime in with any tips. If you really arent familiar with these skis but think you are, please don't give me any pointers. Thanks, Tim C

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcin View Post
    The head gasket on my ski is weeping externally towards the rear of the engine.
    What is it weeping?

+1
    That's bizarre, they normally let go between the water jacket and the cylinder. Anyway, the job is pretty straight forward, the only special tools I might recommend you get is the cam and crank locking tools, although you can improvise there. Head bolts will need changing, might be worth while considering going to arp studs. It is also recommended to change rocker shaft bolts, but many have re-used (including myself). Stick with oem gasket. When removing cam sprocket, stuff some rags down the timing chain galley so you don't drop any bolts down there. Just let the timing chain fall down into the galley, it is easy to retrieve later.

Thanks for the pointers. Can I assume all the parts will be available here in the store?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcin View Post
    Thanks for the pointers. Can I assume all the parts will be available here in the store?
    They sure are. If you don't want to purchase the cam and crank locking tools you can use an 8mm and 9mm drill bit IIRC. The crank is locked by removing an allen head bolt underneath the inlet manifold. I'm sure you were planning to anyway, but make sure you check the block deck and head for flatness.

+1
    Yep use OEM gasket and take look at the ARP studs ... U will need to check the tension after 3 heat cycles ...

8. +1 by:

+1
    I'd go with the Arp head studs those torque bolts from BRP are a hit or miss nowadays.... don't know you have a bad one till you put torque on it....

Thanks guys. Any other misc pieces I should have on hand? (Loctite, anti-seize, valve cover gasket, etc) While the head is off, is this a good time to perform any other maintenance to the ski? Tim C

Thread Information