Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy i have a msx140 2004 model no compression on #2 cylinder

i found that my cylinders were sent to sbt and cast iron sleeves have been installed so i called sbt and they told me they use 1200di carb pistons in there kit know what do i need to do

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have you taken the engine apart?

What failed? What caused the failure?

How many hours on the engine since the SBT rebuild?

yes took engine apart not sure why it failed i had a hot spot on #2 piston on exhaust side you could see rings in about a 1 inch area from top of cylinder im not sure how long it has been that the work that sbt done on bike i just bought it 3 weeks ago and found problem the bike only has 49 hrs on it

+1
    Can you post some clear photos of the damage?

Ficht engines normally don't fail in the manner you describe.

You will need to check fuel pressure from the electric fuel pump, but that requires the injectors to be bolted into the heads.

ok when i get the repair work done i will ck fuel pressure i noticed last nite that there is alot of oil under engine im losing oil from somewhere on the msx140 i notice that there is a line that looks like it would oil crank and three others going to fuel system can the oil injection system be done away with to where i can mix my oil in the gas

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tgmchevy68 View Post
    ok when i get the repair work done i will ck fuel pressure i noticed last nite that there is alot of oil under engine im losing oil from somewhere on the msx140 i notice that there is a line that looks like it would oil crank and three others going to fuel system can the oil injection system be done away with to where i can mix my oil in the gas
    Oil injection system is mandatory on Ficht fuel injected engines. No oil pre-mix possible.

The oil tank feeds the oil pump through an in line oil filter. From the oil pump there are FOUR small oil hoses. Three go to the throttle bodies for each cylinder. One oil hose directly feeds the front (MAG) forward crankcase bearing.

All these oil hoses need to be in good condition and properly clamped. There should be nearly zero oil seepage from the oil injection hoses and pump. My own oil hoses are generally dry to the touch.

Make sure the oil sender fitting and oil tank breather fitting are snug. If the oil sender 'cap' is not snug sealing into the tank it can be tightened up with a narrow band hose clamp.

ok i will ck lines more closely i tightened the hose that comes out of oil tank its leaking pretty good i just removed pistons from crank and they are already 1.0 mm oversize so that tells me a bike with 49 hrs thats done been into at least 3 times this is really scary to do it and it go down again for same reason how can the oil pump be checked is it a task to pull to ck for any scoring or noticiable damage again before assembly is there any way i can flush lower part of engine to get any debris that more than likely has some from goulded piston thanks for all this info

+1
    My understanding is that SBT uses 1mm oversize pistons because the stock 1192cc MSX 140 bore is 1mm larger than the stock red domestic 1165cc engine.

SBT always bores the red Polaris engines 1mm oversize as standard procedure, so they happen to have this size piston on hand. SBT uses the same sleeve bore on the MSX 140 engines, which came from the Polaris factory as Nikasil engines without sleeves.

If you have oil seeping from the oil tank molded hose fitting, it is possible there is a ridge of plastic along the nipple that needs to be smoothed off.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i'm more curious as to what sleeve was put in there,seeing as how the msx is a triple port exhaust i haven't heard of anybody having a proper sleeve for the msx.

the exhaust port in the sleeve is one large open port i found also the line running from oil tank to front of engine i asume the oil pump is sopping wet to i pulled line off and tryed to blow thru line cant from either end is this normal how can the oil pump pull it if you cant blow a little oil out of it its like the filter is fully restricted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information