Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

01 ZXI 1100 burning way too much oil

hi guys, first time poster. so here's my issue... I just bought this 2001 zxi 1100 and did a carb rebuild and cleaning. it ran like a champ the first 3 runs or so. but now it bogs out when I try to punch it. and then one I hold down the throttle long enough it will start to gain speed , but then out of nowhere it cuts out and starts all over... I noticed it spitting out loud of black oil from the exhaust. and plus coated with oil as well.. any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    Check your oil pump linkage. It may have popped off making the pump deliver full oil all of the time.

where would i find the linkage? is it right about where the oil line runs into motor. (like a small black box thing?)

+1
    That was my thought, but the book shows that this model has a fixed ratio oil pump. Shawn, look at the front of the engine, near the bottom. The oil pump should have some small hoses coming out that go to the carburetors. Look to see if there is a cable that goes to the pump. If so, make sure that it moves the pulley on the pump when you move the throttle trigger.

+1
    Do as the others have suggested, but if it has been over-oiling then your spark plugs are probably fouled by now. Check them out/change them out to give yourself a fresh start.

Not to get off subject but you stated that you just bought it. It's 12 years old so all the maintenance items need to be checked or done. Check the compression. If you're running old gas, change that out along with the fuel filter. It's also very possible the fuel tank has a layer of fuel syrup in it from sitting around.

Hopefully you changed out those oil lines when you worked on the carbs as those things are notorious for cracking and coming off. If you change them out you will have to manually refill the lines or else run a tank of premix while they fill back up.

I looked at the oil pump and it appears there is only 3 lines running to the carburetor... none of them move when I pull the throttle. also the oil lines are brand new. the ski had no gas in the tank at all when I bought it. it ran fine the first 3 outings... the time before this I took it out I put seafoam In the gas tank....

+1
    If there is no cable on the pump, then it's a fixed ratio pump (which is what it came with from the factory). This means there is no linkage and no adjustment.

Keep in mind that these are 2-stroke engines and they are designed to burn oil. Getting an oily film near the exhaust is perfectly normal.

I understand that 2 strokes leave oil residue... but it shouldn't be cakeing the inside of my cylinders and spitting out large amounts of black puddles... I'm going to go back over the carbs, clean the jet ports, ect... I'm thinking the issue is due to lack of fuel... and the fixed oil pump is working as normal causing it to overflow. im starting to wonder if the seafoam I added didn't happen to bask loose a bunch of gunk, clogging the carburetor again. also, the fuel filter has alot of air in it, is that normal?
    Last edited by ShawnTX; 05-15-2013 at 09:30 AM.

+1
    Fuel filter should be about half full.

I didn't notice your previous mention of SeaFoam. That stuff can make it run really bad.

Where can I get a premix conversion plate from?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information