Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prop question

+1

Prop question

Hey guys, I recently raced my friends ski, same mods as mine except he's got a Skat prop and I've got the Solas prop. He had me out on the hole shot but I was faster (a little) top end. I have slight cavitation on the hole shot but pulls strong mid and top end. Is it normal for 2 props with the same pitch to have such different characteristics ? I love the top end speed of the Solas but would love some more hole shot. Should I get my Solas repitched a little or change pitch all together ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Hey guys, I recently raced my friends ski, same mods as mine except he's got a Skat prop and I've got the Solas prop. He had me out on the hole shot but I was faster (a little) top end. I have slight cavitation on the hole shot but pulls strong mid and top end. Is it normal for 2 props with the same pitch to have such different characteristics ? I love the top end speed of the Solas but would love some more hole shot. Should I get my Solas repitched a little or change pitch all together ?
    I'm no expert but from everything I've heard/read about the 2 props, you've basically just described their differences.

3. +1 by:

+1
    What you described sounds about right. Even though they can have the same pitch, the blade design and other factors have an effect on how they handle. Also, props aren't always the pitch they say they are from the factory.

+1
    Were the props stock factory bent or custom/ pitch verified? They vary from the manufacturer.

+1
    There have been a few threads about skat being better for cavitation, but slos being slightly faster. I had a skat with the Rius "race finish," and I think it fell between the 2...slightly faster than a regular skat, but not quite as good with cavitation.

+1
    Props were factory bent, they all claim to go through "factory quality control" for a true pitch but everyone i've seen has said the Solas 13/22R is really a 13/21 when measured on a prop gauge. I'm guessing more leading edge would take care of my cavitation problems ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Here you go some required reading for you------------------ There will be a test on this Friday " School of Speed" http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=prop+pitches Tommy Jordan

+1
    Tommy, how can these manufacturers get away with such poor quality control ? You would think they'd be hit with false advertisment of a product at the least. It's like going to the grocery store and buying a six pack of diet coke, only to realize 2 of the 6 are regular coke....that wouldn't fly very long. So are we to assume that all aftermarket props are sent out the door without ever seeing a prop gauge for QC ? What recourse would anyone have if they ordered say a 14/25 and it actually was a 14/22 ? Will the manufacturers gladly give you refund or the runaround ? I haven't been around the world of PWC's long but the more I learn the more it's like the QC of products for the Marine industry is crappy at best compared to motorcycles or automobiles. It's like if the part is "close enough" to tolerance then ship it out.

+1
    This has been a problem on these PWC impellers for years. I Just got a new Scat 14/25 ( marked inside the prop) the prop checked 14/ 22 on two blades and 14/23 on one. I know this is a P I A but every prop need to be checked for its tru pitch. This is why you can never just bolt a prop on and then buy another one and assume the next one is what you need when changing pitches or brands of props. Tommy Jordan

11. +1 by:

+1
    If you order a prop from Rius or Impros, the pitch is more accurate than ordering straight from Skat or Solas. I think I got my Rius Skat prop from ebay, IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information