Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Msx140 cosmetic resto complete

Finally done with my budget paint job on the msx , all black with metallic red up top, black seat. looking pretty good imo. Still need to get some regi decals and probably a quick wet sand and buff, still shines pretty nice as is. Didnt want to put alot of $ into the paint cause i always get dings n stuff, decent paint, but not top line or gel coat (i know... gc's the way to go). Runs great and got it for a decent price since it was very ugly when i got it, had been sitting in the sun all its life with no cover Cant wait for it to get hot outside!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2374.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	301036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2373.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	301035

Quick question also... I misplaced one of the "screens" over the air inlets on the side of the hood, still looks fine, with the black under you cant really tell but, will not having them on be an issue with water coming inside the hull thru the air inlets? (been cold and havent had a chance to get it really wet, just a couple breif trips, didnt see any water inside) I would think water still would go thru the screen when submarined but thought id see if someone else with a msx could chime in on if I really "need" to have them on? or is it simply cosmetic?

+1
    Damn my garage looks like a hot mess in those pics! papers, nerf gun paint everywhere, cement and rock making materials, assorted s*@t everywhere, damn. Guess i coulda cleaned up a little before the pics lol. Shoulda just used my daughters nerf gun paint instead of the quarts i used, woulda been cheaper and probably more durable this laquer scratches too easy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by D007 View Post
    Damn my garage looks like a hot mess in those pics! papers, nerf gun paint everywhere, cement and rock making materials ...
    You make rocks?

The mesh screens on the MSX hood shroud sides are entirely cosmetic, as far as I know. Rather flimsy material. Mine rattled with engine vibration until I tightened up the mountings.

+1
    A red insert stripe in the rub rail would look sweet
    +1 on the intake grill just for looks.

Banned User
    +1
    What kind of paint did you use?

+1
    cool, i figured it was just cosmetic, as the grate couldnt have made much difference in water coming thru.

yeah I make calcium carbonate rocks for reef aquariums, aragacrete. Sculptures, caves, custom back walls, ect. made at least 1000 pounds over the winter for myself and others. at one point the whole garage was full of totes with curing rock.

I used an automotive laquer, not the most durable for a ski but had to keep costs down and gcoating the whole topside was going to be too much. Wasnt looking for a show quality job, but still pretty, im sure by the end of the summer it will have plenty of dock dings so its all good, just wanted it presentable, it looked VERY rough when i got it. Basically the whole topside was chalked up past the point of return. Thought about goin gas monkey and rockin the aged look....but it bothered me. The pics are just paint, no wetsand or buff, still mirrors/shines nicely. Ill probably ws and buff it eventually tho.

Banned User
    +1
    It was just a one part lacquer, not a catalyzed urethane?

+1
    primer, base, and some clear, black was left over from when i repainted a few panels on my truck (bought too much). I know its not the best choice for watercraft, priced other options and would have been alot more, with bunch a of gc, flake, and etc, so, yeah budget paint job, will be fine for the summer, if funds permit ill strip it all down and gc it next winter if it gets dinged up too bad (rather save some cash for a head cover if it pops up). Have a 3month old now so i wont be able to go riding during the day while the other kids are at school like previous summers, so im sure it wont get too much use, my boat will tho , and the slx is still my ride of choice if im out by myself, little funner than the couch/msx. rather be riding it than going all out on a show quality resto, riding season is here finally! might not look as good as other jobs but, still pretty good imo

Banned User
    +1
    Paint should be just fine, especially on the top side. No need to get rid of it for gel coat. With the clear you used, did you have to mix a catalyst into it?

+1
    no catalyst. black was the paint shop brand from AZ, and clear was rattle can. when i sprayed my truck the base coat looked good but with the clear it got foggy (moisture in compressor tank) so i went rattle can instead to avoid the fogging and having to sand down and redo it...like i had to with my truck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information