Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 XL1200 has no spark all of a sudden

Hey Guys,
    So I went to the lake yesterday and my 2000 yamaha xl1200 all of a sudden shut off. The night before we went out, I started her up and she ran fine. Got to the lake and started her up in the water and it was a little harder to start ( like an extra 15 seconds or so ) but she started and was idling fine. Was just putting out ( past the no wake zone ) and after putting out for about 45 seconds she just died. I wasnt on the throttle at all. So I had my daughter ( was on our old 95 xp go figure ) and she towed us in.It turns over great, just wont fire up. I checked for gas and oil and all was fine. I pulled the plugs, cleaned them and still nothing. So I pulled a plug and checked to see if it was getting spark and nothing. I put in in plugs and still no spark. I checked the fuses and both were fine. So is it a bad CDI or what ? Any help would be great. I would like to fix it my self before sending it off to the stealership. Thanks guys

+1
    First thing I would check after the fuses would be the start switch. There are 3 switches inside, one the lanyard break switch, then the start button and the run switch. If the lanyard stop has a broken wire or bad contacts the boat will crank but not have spark. This is a common problem on the older yamaha's. CDI failures are really uncommon. Wiring is the first suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    First thing I would check after the fuses would be the start switch. There are 3 switches inside, one the lanyard break switch, then the start button and the run switch. If the lanyard stop has a broken wire or bad contacts the boat will crank but not have spark. This is a common problem on the older yamaha's. CDI failures are really uncommon. Wiring is the first suspect.
    Ok so I should check the wiring on all the switches. Is there a way to test them or do I just look for a broken or corroded wire? Thanks for the replay by the way. Im lost on this LOL

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    check for shorted water temp. sensor that will kill the spark, sensor is on the bottom of the stinger pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    check for shorted water temp. sensor that will kill the spark, sensor is on the bottom of the stinger pipe.
    Ok will do. thanks for the tip

Ok so I checked all the switches and they look fine. There doesnt look to be any corrosion any where on any wires. But I did find this set of wires that has a clip and its plugged into nothing. Could this be the problem? I cant for the life of me fine the other end it should go to and it looks like its some kind of sensor to the manifold. I took a picture of it. What is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamahaplugpic.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	301279

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline85338 View Post
    Ok so I checked all the switches and they look fine. There doesnt look to be any corrosion any where on any wires. But I did find this set of wires that has a clip and its plugged into nothing. Could this be the problem? I cant for the life of me fine the other end it should go to and it looks like its some kind of sensor to the manifold. I took a picture of it. What is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamahaplugpic.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	301279
    that is the exhaust temp sensor, it has been disconnected because the cat was removed and a D plate was installed normal. You will see on the side of the electrical box were that plugged in that there is a little chip in it's place. Just because the coolant temp sensor has no corrosion does not mean it is not bad you must ohm it to see if it is working. Take it out and put it in a pot with boiling water right around 100 celsius and the ohm should be about 0.87 - 1.18 K OHM'S

I'm having same problem The ski blew rear cylinder due to oil line I bought it for a decent price and since its for a neighbor it was rebuilt using really good yam parts.to keep stock,only thing changed was d plate installed with chip,all fuel drained new batt., new parts crankshaft,exhaust valves,2 good cylinders diamond honed, yamaha nikasil ordered with matching piston,all carbs rebuilt ,They didnt even have any corrosion all grounds connected very careful with wires from stator when pulling engine with lift.I put 6 gal,50 to 1 pre-mix compression is fine in all 3 cylinders within 1 psi!!!I ran it for 15 to 20 minutes on trailer backed into ramp checking for hot spots,leaks etc.I stopped and started it at least 5 times never took it over maybe 5k then while fast idling engine warm not hot it felt like someone hit kill button ,not a seize as it was checked for compression immeadeatly after all fine,checked for spark none!!since I was checking reverse,tilt trim i THOUGHT KILL LANYARD TOOK IT APART ALL OK CHECKED ALL NEW CONNECTIONS (OLD PLUGS )FROM PULLING ENGINE,tHE ONLY THING i FOUND WAS A SLIGHTLY LOOSE GROUND TO STATOR TO HEAD,WOULD THIS CAUSE STATOR TO GO BAD OR ECU i OHMED STATOR RED YELLOW TO BLACK,.503K CHECked switch fuses etc.with all plugs out and grounded to head you could only see a very slight spark on number 1 not enough to fire,not hijacking your thread we just have same year with same problem ,ran for total 20 minutes notrun for a couple years,Thanks for any help and perhaps this will help you since we seem to have same problem thanks>Marvin I did check rear sensor with ohm meter seemed ok wont crank over with it unplugged!
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 05-20-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Ok update.... So the ski is at the shop for 2 weeks now and I guess it is throwing up a H16 or something like that code. They called Yamaha and they don't know what is wrong or that code. They are thinking it might be the CDI but they are going to find out for sure before I buy one. Anyone got any ideas of what this is.......??? I Hope to be back on the water soon

So I found a CDI for a good price and it will be here this week.... Is it hard to install ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information