Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Virage Txi bogging

Hello all,
    New to the hulk but not new to jet skis or wrenching on them. I Bought a 2002 virage txi that had a bad emm. I had dfi rebuild it for me. I also replaced the plugs with the correct ngk's, all of the fuel lines, a new fuel pump, and I replaced the fuel regulator with the in line kawasaki regulator. The ski runs fine out of the water, when I water tested it it has an intermitant bog. About 50% of the time it runs fine, the other 50% it boggs down and then comes out of it. I did notice if it is bogging, and I shut it off and restart it it runs fine for awhile. I am leaning towards the TPS. It looks like it is original. I also checked the plugs after the test run and they all looked good. It isn't giving me any warning codes. Any help would be greatly apprieciated!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You did all that work and still have the original TPS? The only way to eliminate the TPS as a possible problem source is to install another good/new TPS.

Always good to have a spare on hand. When you need one, you need one.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I see a trend of more folks being better prepared to come to Polaris school. that's a good thing.

I'll second on the TPS and extend the typical hulk welcome aboard.

The only tps fault that shows up as a error is when it's unplugged.

Just know that the tps is an aggravation point on that ski and be prepared to swap in your spare when its misbehaving.

I'll assume that you've confirmed proper water flow thru the emm?..if not that's your first step.

I can assume...you MUST NOT

No I didn't check for water flow through the emm. Can you describe the procedure for that? I will probably order a new TPS tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by thobkirk View Post
    No I didn't check for water flow through the emm. Can you describe the procedure for that? I will probably order a new TPS tomorrow.
    well I installed a new TPS and a new air temp sensor I still have the exact same problems. do you think I need to send the computer back to DFI? I check the injector voltage and it is good. I also installed a new battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The TPS was a good try. Keep the new one installed for now, keep the old TPS as a spare.

Either the EMM still has an internal problem, or something around the EMM is not right.

The symptom that is bothering me is "... if it is bogging, and I shut it off and restart it it runs fine for awhile ..."

Clarify what you mean by "About 50% of the time it runs fine, the other 50% it boggs down and then comes out of it." What exactly is happening? Over what time frame?

Question

Tonight I let it idle for about 60 seconds before leaving the trailer. I then slowley worked it up on plane for one more minute to let it warm up more. It ran perfect for about 4 minutes. It then started bogging ocausionally at wot but more so at mid range throttle. It bogs enough that It doesn't want to plane out. It did come out of it briefly and ran good at wot for two minutes. Although tonight shutting It off and restarting it didn't seem to help. I stopped and checked the emm and it and the cooling lines were ice cold. The test drive was over a 20 minute time span. It has fresh gas. I cleaned and tightend the battery grounds and coil grounds. As always, your advice is greatly apprieciated!

Quote Originally Posted by thobkirk View Post
    Tonight I let it idle for about 60 seconds before leaving the trailer. I then slowley worked it up on plane for one more minute to let it warm up more. It ran perfect for about 4 minutes. It then started bogging ocausionally at wot but more so at mid range throttle. It bogs enough that It doesn't want to plane out. It did come out of it briefly and ran good at wot for two minutes. Although tonight shutting It off and restarting it didn't seem to help. I stopped and checked the emm and it and the cooling lines were ice cold. The test drive was over a 20 minute time span. It has fresh gas. I cleaned and tightend the battery grounds and coil grounds. As always, your advice is greatly apprieciated!
    I spoke with dfi today. They told me to send the emm back and they would try it in another ski. Unfortunately they do not water test them though. I think it will be hard to duplicate the problem on the trailer instead of in the water. Any other ideas before I send the Emm back? Unfortunately I do not know anyone else that has a good emm to try in my jet ski

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you _might_ have a crank seal leak or perhaps a bad reed valve. getting any spit back near the flame arrestor?

DFI shouldn't be water testing..tht would make your typical repair cost far more. they assure that the emm is processing all signal inputs as expected and providing outputs

what do the plugs look like fter it bogs out?.

have you monitored the fuel pressure when on the water?

it's always great when an emm repair fixes stuff..but lots of times there are other factors that come into play.

The plugs all look good (light brown). No residue by the flame arrestor. I have not monitored the fuel pressure while on the water. The fuel pump I put it came from high flow fuel. It was showing around 20 psi on the gauge while running. I was leaning towards the aftermarket pump, but I still can't explain why it works fine for the first 5 minutes. The new fuel pump was slightly shorter than the stock so I moved the plastic retainer farther down the pump housing. Maybe that has something to do with it???
    Last edited by thobkirk; 05-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information