97 stx 1100 coil question

I took the jetski out today, started right up, had a real slight miss at low rpm's and slight hesitation from a dead stop to wot, ran pretty good I thought. I just put a block off plate on the oil injection system (thanks Steve for all your help) and just run premix now, anyway I decided to change the plugs and noticed the number 1 plug was'nt even burnt, looked brand new. I pulled the cap off and checked, no spark at all, does that mean the number coil is bad or is it likely the ignitor could be bad even though the other two plugs are getting a good spark, also does anyone know who has either used parts are carry WSM parts in the Houston area, thanks.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    number one carb may be plugged. With the plug leads grouned block the number one carb ( old innertube works well for this..and crank the engine a few spins. That creates a "super chocke" which can sometimes break a sticky carb needle loose.... look into that quick before you lose the engine.

the ancient "trim a 1/4 inch of the plug wire _might_ help..

try that first since pulling the carb entails some actual work. Might try swapping the coils around. Opening the electric box is a good idea, since it's been rumored that these skis have problems with the wires shorting in the box if they are not positioned "just so" when you bolt the cover on. I carry some wsm stuff but not any ignition coils ( rare that they go out and beside that I can get WSM parts next day or two for USP ground shipping ( they are really close to me) I do carry a boatload of solenoids and voltage regulators however..as those bits are always going out.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    number one carb may be plugged. With the plug leads grouned block the number one carb ( old innertube works well for this..and crank the engine a few spins. That creates a "super chocke" which can sometimes break a sticky carb needle loose.... look into that quick before you lose the engine.

the ancient "trim a 1/4 inch of the plug wire _might_ help..

try that first since pulling the carb entails some actual work. Might try swapping the coils around. Opening the electric box is a good idea, since it's been rumored that these skis have problems with the wires shorting in the box if they are not positioned "just so" when you bolt the cover on. I carry some wsm stuff but not any ignition coils ( rare that they go out and beside that I can get WSM parts next day or two for USP ground shipping ( they are really close to me) I do carry a boatload of solenoids and voltage regulators however..as those bits are always going out.
    I pulled the plug cap off and there is no spark from the number 1 plug wire.

Thread Information