+1

spark plugs in cracks twice, spark plugs out cranks really good wth??

ok working on my buddys 98 waverunner xl760 we thought the engine was freezing up because when we would try to start it, it would only turn over twice so i took the head covers on and everything looks good even tried turning it over with the covers off and it was turning over just fine so i put the cover back on and tried turning it over while the plugs were out and turns over great so i put the plugs back in and went to start it and it turned over twice and stop went to try to start it again and turned over twice and stopped so i took the plugs back out and went to start it and it turns over like it was ready to start so put the plugs back in and went to start will it did the same damn thing cracked twice then nothing CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

+1
    sounds like the battery is dead and the compression is adding to much force for it to turn over check the battery and the wiring going to the stater as one of theses is likely your problem

+1
    but why is it when i take the plugs out it turns over really good i had put a full charge on the battery before i put it back in i also did check the wires in the cdi and to the starter and stater and everything looks great to me it seems as if its not letting the compression release for some reason timing maybe?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickflo7 View Post
    but why is it when i take the plugs out it turns over really good i had put a full charge on the battery before i put it back in i also did check the wires in the cdi and to the starter and stater and everything looks great to me it seems as if its not letting the compression release for some reason timing maybe?
    When you pull the plugs out there is NO compression. Plugs in = compression = resistance. Basic internal combustion engine operation. Not sure why you think something would be releasing compression when starting? The engine needs compression in order to start and run. Just because you had the battery on a charger doesn't mean the battery is healthy, try a new battery especially if the current battery is more than 2-4 years old.

+1
    A starter can do the same thing as a bad battery. if you got a volt meter you can hook it to the battery wile starting to see how much voltage loss you have.

+1
    Yeah, it has to be a weak battery or a weak starter or a bad connection that's not allowing the current to flow to the starter.

+1
    put a new battery on and still did the same thing so might have to check the starter thanks for the info guys i just thought it was weird that it would only turn over when the spark plugs where out

Thread Information