latest problem with my 97 stx 1100

I replaced the number 1 coil and took the ski out this afternoon for about 30 minutes and it ran great, started right up, no hesitation, I thoughy finally it's ready for my kids to go out on during their summer break. I took it back to the dock, turned it off, backed the trailer down to load it, went to start the ski to load it and nothing, not even a click, just a red and warning light blinking once and I think the number 8 came up on the dash. I just put an oil injection block off plate on and the light blinks showing it's low on oil but i'm premixing the gas now, Does anyone know if there is some kind of automatic shutoff or shutdown if the ski thinks it's about to damage the motor. I'm about to DROWN this thing to take me out of my misery. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4444 View Post
    I replaced the number 1 coil and took the ski out this afternoon for about 30 minutes and it ran great, started right up, no hesitation, I thoughy finally it's ready for my kids to go out on during their summer break. I took it back to the dock, turned it off, backed the trailer down to load it, went to start the ski to load it and nothing, not even a click, just a red and warning light blinking once and I think the number 8 came up on the dash. I just put an oil injection block off plate on and the light blinks showing it's low on oil but i'm premixing the gas now, Does anyone know if there is some kind of automatic shutoff or shutdown if the ski thinks it's about to damage the motor. I'm about to DROWN this thing to take me out of my misery. Thanks for any help.
    help please, Steve 45, I hate bothring you again but you are the smartest Kawasaki jet ski guy to ever turn on a computer and get on this forum.

+1
    I really don't know if it has a shutdown built in or not. I've never removed the injection system. If you removed the tank and sensor, you might plug in the sensor, turn it upside down, and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I really don't know if it has a shutdown built in or not. I've never removed the injection system. If you removed the tank and sensor, you might plug in the sensor, turn it upside down, and try it.
    Thanks Steve, I wish you lived on Lake Conroe, I would Keep you busy working on this ski. My kids are coming down from St. Louis Monday for 10 days and I want them to have fun. I only see them a couple of weeks a year and I did'nt want to spend alot of money on a ski that is'nt used much. I think after they go back I will sell this thing and look for a better, newer more dependable ski. It seems like I fix one thing and another one comes up. I did'nt know if any of these old ski's had an automatic shutdown switch. Thanks again, Russell.

+1
    Do your kids have their boater safety cards? Not legal for them to ride by themselves without it unless they're 18+.

When you decide to part with it, let me know. The STX is a nice cruiser and good for letting friends ride because they're stable and moderately quick.

yes, my daughter is 18 and graduating this year and my son is 19 and coming down for a couple of weeks from school in nebraska. i found the problem, it is a short in the electronic box. do you know if the boxes are interchangable between 97 and 98 900 and 1100 kawasaki jet ski's. you will be the first to know when i am ready to unload this ski. thanks again steve for all your help.

+1
    The correct part number for the ignitor for the '97-'98 STX 1100 is 21119-3746. The '99 uses p/n 21119-3755. I suspect the timing is a little different, but it may work.

I was surprised to find that the '97-'98 ZXi 1100 takes a different ignitor: 21119-3751. I suspect the timing is a little different, but it may work.

The '97 900 uses a 21119-3747, which is no longer available. I wouldn't try that.

Thread Information