View Poll Results: Do maintainers work? Please comment as well if you like.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • They work, batteries just died

15 78.95%
  • Some maintainers are faulty

2 10.53%
  • They are all snake oil

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Question Do battery maintainers work?

What is your experience with battery maintainers? Talking the maintainers that are designed to monitor the charge and keep it at 100%...not a trickle charger that constantly sends 2 amps out.

I’ve decided they are crap, or a least some are faulty and kill good batteries. I have a couple of Rally brand from Academy Sports kill 2 batteries. One was a good battery that came out of my Honda ski in October, put on maintainer thru April, and battery was so dead that it would not light the Honda’s LCD display or beep. Another battery got killed due to a GFI outlet getting thrown…once power is lost, instead of the maintainer turning off, it actually continues giving a green light until it completely drains the battery it is supposed to be saving. Piece of crap.

Also have experience with the Battery Tender brand. Although it will shut off if power is lost, I’ve had it kill a perfectly good ATV battery in 2 months time.

So...are these things worth while and these batteries went bad, are some maintainers just defective, or are they all snake oil?

I’ve decided your best bet is to remove the batteries over the winter and charge them every month or so.

+1
    Haven't had a problem with my battery tender jr, brought my dead battery back to life and has maintained it for a while now.

+1
    no problems here, 2 seasons now and no issues. Just de-winterized the GTI last week and started right up!

I have a battery tender JR. going to order a second one for the new ski!

+1
    I use a battery tender Jr on mine and my OEM yuasa battery lasted 6 years. I just replaced it last year and have been using it on my new battery since without issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any electronic device can be faulty,or fail over time. Quality of the electronics inside is of course important, both for the device reliability and of course for the batteries connected.

A faulty charger or maintainer can under or over charge a battery, which will reduce the battery life.

My approach is to select a well regarded brand and model of battery maintainer. 'You get what you pay' for applies to such things, often enough.

I have had no issues with my 8 Amp BatteryMinder from VDC Electronics, nor with my Battery Tender waterproof 800ma model.

I only use factory sealed AGM batteries, and I prefer the Deka ETX16 type.

+1
    I have 2 identical 2010 jet skis. Every winter I take the batteries out, hook them together in parallel and connect a Battery Tender Jr to them. I noticed that after the green light comes on indicating that charging is complete and the "maintenance" charge is being applied the voltage is still up above 13 volts. I'm afraid to leave them in this condition all winter so I unplug them and let them set for a couple of weeks then plug them in again until the green light is on for a while. They are going on year 4 now and the battery load tester says they are still good. I'm undecided on what to replace them with when they finally go bad but I'm leaning toward the OEM Yuasa 19 Ah.
    Last edited by ronhollenbeck; 05-18-2013 at 07:26 PM.

+1
    The battery tenders I have used over the years have always worked great

just bought a battery tender today from west marine and there own brand.anyone know if they are any good? it ives you an option of 1 amp or 2 amps

+1
    It depends on the battery type. A smart charger from Wally World has always worked for me!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhollenbeck View Post
    I have 2 identical 2010 jet skis. Every winter I take the batteries out, hook them together in parallel and connect a Battery Tender Jr to them. I noticed that after the green light comes on indicating that charging is complete and the "maintenance" charge is being applied the voltage is still up above 13 volts.

I'm afraid to leave them in this condition all winter so I unplug them and let them set for a couple of weeks then plug them in again until the green light is on for a while. They are going on year 4 now and the battery load tester says they are still good. I'm undecided on what to replace them with when they finally go bad but I'm leaning toward the OEM Yuasa 19 Ah.
    Check what voltage the battery manufacturer recommends for the 'float' voltage.

The generic float voltage for a regular lead-acid battery is 13.4 volts, with some temperature compensation variation.

A cool battery may need around 13.5 volts for proper float.

Note: Some battery maintainers estimate the battery's actual temperature by monitoring the charger's internal temperature, and adjust the float voltage that way.

When the time comes, lean towards factory sealed AGM batteries. East-Penn Deka brand works very well. AGM is fully sealed, no leaks, no liquid acid, reliable even with vibration, safe in any orientation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information