Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ski always turns left - ideas?

I've been fighting a wicked automatic left turn for quite a while. It makes it hard to get good mph readings when I'm constantly having to crank the handlebars to keep from running ashore.

I'm fairly certain the rideplate is reasonably centered. Trim tabs are spaced evenly, and sponsons are dropped evenly. Any other ideas? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what your fix was. Maybe I'm just being lazy Thanks.

+1
    Put a streight edge on the bottom and make sure there is not a hook in the hull. I am assuming when you say the trim tabs are spaced evenly that you mean that they are both the same if you put a streight edge from the bottom of the hull to the tabs that they are at the same distance up or down? Have you checked to make sure the bars and the nozzle are straight?

+1
    Hey boogie I had the same problem, but mine was just a matter of adjusting the steering nozzle in the back a few turns then tighting the nut back up. Just make sure you have enough of the little shaft still threaded where it couples up or it could turn into a nightmare if it comes loose at any speed. Hope this helps.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Dave, Make sure the pump shoe is not loose or the intake grate. If you are pulling left check the whole left side for anything that can create drag. I had a ski here that was pulling and it was one of the epoxys had come loose from sealing the bolt holes, And was hanging down about 50 thousands and thats all it took to make the ski pull.

+1
    I had the left turns over 70 last summer, if I remeber correctly I retorqued grate bolts and realigned plate with good result.

+1
    Thanks for the ideas so far. I got up under the ski last night and checked the tabs - evenly spaced down from the hull. The rideplate, as mentioned, seems reasonably centered (only method is to eyeball it). The grate comes off after every ride to check for cracks, so I would assume that since I continue to have the "lefties" it's not the grate.

I'll check the nozzle, but I don't think that's it. If I let go of the handlebars, it still turns. So, it's not an off-kilter nozzle and handlebar pressure causing it. It does it when when left on its own.

By the way, pump shoe was sealed and torqued years ago and has never been loosened.

I do seem to recall someone having issues with ride plate spacer washers pushing up through the hull - wonder if that may be the problem?

I'm sure it's something minor. Just need to track it down...

Check the rideplate inserts and pumpshoe, it might look fine underneath on the trailer, but it could be pulling down at full speed. Just an idea.

Also on mine, I've seen the pumpshoe bolts loosen up over time. I don't know how, but if the bolts holes are filled in, you might should dig them out and see.

+1

Thumbs up answer to your question!

Answer!!!!!! TEC TIP # 189 The problem is that the intake grate is NOT centered in the tunnel. Look at the wing there is a gap that is more on one side of the wing to the tunnel than the other. Loosen the grate shift it to one side L or R which ever you like till the wing touches the side of the tunnel and measure the gap on the other side with a feeler gauge. Let's say its .060 clearance between the wing and the tunnel. Devide thet number by 2 which is .030 then get two .030 feeler gauge shims and place one on each side of wing between wing and tunnel then re tighten intake bolts to proper tork settings remove shims and now intake wing is centered in tunnel and your pull is gone assuming the rest of your bottom of hull is all the same on both sides!

+1
    I fought this problem after a new grate, ended up grinding it somooth with the pump shoe (bottom side) this stopped the pull and gave me a little speed Ill assume the left side was hanging a little lower than the right side.

your left arm is shorter than your right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information