Need help! 01 Virage tx 1200 No spark!

01 virage tx with the carbed 1200 engine.

I just got it, turns over but no spark. What should I check first?

Only turns over with lanyard out, will not start will lanyard in.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Here's a link that will start you in the right direction. It will guide you to do some checking and will help with giving better info on questions to ask here. This link has most of the answers if you dig far enough.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....omestic-engine

A couple of main things with the red motors....
    Engine does not start, no spark => Replace the battery with a new battery

The CDI on domestic engines requires the battery to deliver more than 10.6 volts while cranking the engine. An old or weak battery can not deliver enough voltage while the engine is cranking, and you will not have spark. This is a very common problem with Polaris PWC.

Even if the battery is 'brand new' you should take the time to actually measure the battery voltage with a multi-meter (not the voltage on the Polaris MFD display). Connect the multi-meter, then watch the battery voltage sag when you press Start. If the voltage does not stay above 10.6 volts the battery is no good. Even if you just bought it.

and this link

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1672710
    Last edited by K447; 05-16-2013 at 09:42 PM.

+1
    This past weekend my genesis wouldn't crank with 10.6v showing on the batt. Swapped in the batt from my virage and she fired right up.

That would be the first thing I would check.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdriver View Post
    This past weekend my genesis wouldn't crank with 10.6v showing on the batt. Swapped in the batt from my virage and she fired right up.

10.6 volts is NOT enough.

There is a reason I always say the battery voltage, while cranking, must be over 10.6 volts.

More than 10.6 volts

Over 10.6 volts.

Exceed 10.6 volts.

Write it in bold marker on the hull beside the battery! Must be more than 10.6 volts or no spark!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

10.6 volts is NOT enough.

There is a reason I always say the battery voltage, while cranking, must be over 10.6 volts.

More than 10.6 volts

Over 10.6 volts.

Exceed 10.6 volts.

Write it in bold marker on the hull beside the battery! Must be more than 10.6 volts or no spark!
    That was after cranking for a a minute or so. At first it read 11.4 and it did fire up once. Did you see after that voltage statement that I swapped batts and it started fine?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... Did you see after that voltage statement that I swapped batts and it started fine?
    I did. That rant was more for anyone else who may be reading along, or see this thread later on.

Too often I get folks telling me they 'have 10.6 volts' while cranking. Which of course does not tell me if they have enough voltage. So I get to ask them yet again, was it more than 10.6 volts?

Maybe I should just say they should have 11.0 volts, and see how many get scared when they measure 10.9

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin88 View Post
    01 virage tx with the carbed 1200 engine.

I just got it, turns over but no spark. What should I check first?

Only turns over with lanyard out, will not start will lanyard in.
    I would say the start/stop module has failed. no cranking with the lanyard in is a clear sign...

Find details on the LR-505 in k447's sig links

and of course it bears repeating the bit on the battery issue

I have one in shop now with a marginal battery..no start but healthy cranking.

Fresh battery-instant start.

the guy already balked at the price of a Deka vs. the big store battery he's been using "for years"

He can go throw another $75 down the hole and be back for the same treatment next year.

He's still paying for the spring prep service, and he can install a new walmart battery himself since it's clear to him that I'm marking up the deka battery "a lot"

I won't bother to show him the MSRP on the battery is $5 more then I sell em for (105) and that an install and charging system check does have some value as well.

I need to start turning away these really ratty poorly maintained Polaris skis, the way an emergency room doctor would like to when a guy that hasn't taken a bath or clipped his toenails in two years comes in with a toothache.

I wasn't looking forward to dealing with his zip tie and bailing wire battery mount anyhow.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... Did you see after that voltage statement that I swapped batts and it started fine?
    I did. That rant was more for anyone else who may be reading along, or see this thread later on.

Too often I get folks telling me they 'have 10.6 volts' while cranking. Which of course does not tell me if they have enough voltage. So I get to ask them yet again, was it more than 10.6 volts?

Maybe I should just say they should have 11.0 volts, and see how many get scared when they measure 10.9
    lol Ok. Just kinda looked like you aimed that at me. No worries

Thread Information