Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to GP1200

New to GP1200

I am looking at getting into the ski world but want to do it on the cheap! I already have an expensive addiction (banshee) I have been looking at some older GP 1200, I like the simplicity of the motors etc. My main concern is, how hard is it for 2 people to get back on after being dumped? I like this ski because not only is it clean but already has everything I would do to it. Thoughts.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/3799560454.html

Moocher of Skis The River Skank's Avatar
    +1
    Price seems a lil high for a 97. How many hours on it? Ever had a rebuild on the motor?

If it's a small person with you, say no bigger than 140lbs then it's not much of a problem. Anybody bigger it takes some balance to keep it from flipping on you while sitting still in the water. I've had several different sized ppl on mine while tubing and it can be challenging with two large people on it. I think the weight limit is like 400 something? Not sure. It's def more suited to a small chick on there behind you, which works out anyway

+1
    I think that thing is priced just right if not a little low. Especially if the engine is in great shape, with those mods, it could be worth a bit more.
    The weight limit is 353 pounds. I've been over that several times so there is a little wiggle room there. GP12xx is correct though, the bigger the 2 people, the harder it is.

+1
    Hello, I know the guy who is selling this ski. He owns a ski repair shop that I visit often. You can look em up @ [email protected] He is a great guy and knows his skis. I have a 2001 GP1200R, and I think the price you are paying is most likely about right. But @ the upper end for that year. Do you live in MO. ? If you choose to get the ski I live only 4 miles down the road from where you would pick it up. Give me a call and I can ride with ya here @ the lake. Steve 720-323-2169 Goodluck

Thanks for the advise guys. I am going to try to get in contact with this guy today to get some more details. I'll keep you posted.

Id say price isn't bad for what it is, ski looks clean. Ive seen cheaper but usually they have corrosion or some issues. My buddy picked up a 99 last year for like 1600, had a couple issues that another buddy fixed , only spent about $200 and great running ski. Pretty darn clean as well(or was its got some rash on it now) so deals can be had but again it had some minor issues which is pretty rare, usually the issues are stated something like (great ski well taken care of been sitting so carbs need to be cleaned) get there to find out the ski won't start (cause the carbs right?)...comp test and find either low or no comp in a cylinder..thats a bit more typical..then you hear (oh you can replace the one cylinder for like $200)..hahah...sorry for rant :P

We have dumped my GP many times with two people. Not once have we ever successfully gotten them both back on. Whoever is on my genesis always picks up the passenger. I consider the GP to be a one person ski. I always tell people that whatever the manufacturer says it will hold for people, subtract one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    I always tell people that whatever the manufacturer says it will hold for people, subtract one.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it, too.

Yeah, I am going the three seater route now. I am looking at Yamaha 99 XL 1200 Limited. Any thoughts on that ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information