FX140 Fuel tank pressurizing while stored.

Hi,

While stored in the shed I can smell fuel when walking past the ski, also if you lift the front hatch or seat very strong smell of fuel, Release the fuel filler cap and let the built up presure out.

There is no fuel in the bottom of the hull or air box.

Is this normal for these ski's or is a breather / vent bloked??

Shane

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's normal operation.(not the heavy fuel smell

There are two check valves, one to vent pressure to the outside, another to let air into the tank as needed.

You can test the valves with a pop-off pressure tester, but the fact that the tank is pressurizing is a good sign, no leaks in the fuel system.

Keeping the tank full reduces the amount of pressure that can build up (caused by evaporating fuel)

you'll want to do a pressure check and full visiual inspection to make sure there is no significant drop in system pressure, as there might be a seepage..it only takes a few drops of fuel to create an odor in a small enclosed space.

Given that I would remove the seat when fueling, and well before the first startup of the day to vent the hull space.

newer skis have warning labels to do that, after a few unfortunate bilge explosions over the last few years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    that's normal operation.(not the heavy fuel smell

There are two check valves, one to vent pressure to the outside, another to let air into the tank as needed.

You can test the valves with a pop-off pressure tester, but the fact that the tank is pressurizing is a good sign, no leaks in the fuel system.

Keeping the tank full reduces the amount of pressure that can build up (caused by evaporating fuel)

you'll want to do a pressure check and full visiual inspection to make sure there is no significant drop in system pressure, as there might be a seepage..it only takes a few drops of fuel to create an odor in a small enclosed space.

Given that I would remove the seat when fueling, and well before the first startup of the day to vent the hull space.

newer skis have warning labels to do that, after a few unfortunate bilge explosions over the last few years.
    how do you do the pressure check? my vxr has done the same thing since I bought it new

Thread Information