Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

ET Wheels and the Athena. The Road to 90MPH?

We are always out to get more speed out of our setup. Once we have a setup for some amount of time we get used to the speed and want to go faster.

Let me start with listing what I have:
    2011 FZR
    Riva Pump Plug kit and R&D intake Grate.
    Riva Intake Ribbon delete
    Riva Through-hull exhaust
    Riva Air intake
    Intake Manifold insulation.
    Riva Gen 2 Power cooler with HKS Blow Off Valve
    Riva Engine Oil Breather.
    Riva Valve train upgrade.
    Riva Adjustable Cam Sprockets set to: +5 IN and -2 EX
    Jim’s Cut VX Ride Plate
    ET Low Boost Wheel
    Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Aftermarket High Performance Fuel Pump
    Skat Swirl 15/25 155mm stock pump.

I believe that some of our limitation is in the reflash ECU’s once we start going over 80 MPH. So I decided to go with the most affordable programmable ECU out there.
    (The Athena)
    Altough it’s pretty new and there aren’t a lot of reviews, I decided to go for it. I’m happy I did because just doing a straight ECU swap from my reflash to the Athena was a 3MPH speed gain. On the first run I got 86.5 MPH.

The challenge I got with this ECU was with the cam sprockets I was running. Of course at the time I did not know this, but the cam-sprockets are not accounted for in the base map that is provided by Riva. (Stage 3 base map for Power Connect)
    (the default map the unit comes with : http://www.rivaecu.com/maps/yampc/basemapYAMpcs3.shtml )

The way I solved it was by running the Rate of Rise on the Fuel Pressure regulator. On the Idle that was @ 2200 RPM I got in contact with Riva’s support team and they logged in to my Laptop at home and over the phone they told me what to do so they could load a custom map. This solved my Idle Issues. The cam sprockets changed the fuel mapping completely. Would I have indicated this to Riva off the bat they would have helped me to customize a map for the sprockets.

The more time passes by the more Maps Riva will have for the different setups out there.

I have now put more than 20 hours on my ski doing over 80MPH since January this year and have not had a problem.

Last week I accidentally broke my SC shaft by holding the throttle leaver while cavitating. The perfect excuse to upgrade some stuff and build a setup that is again a bit faster.

I added:

Riva Gen 3 shaft
    Riva Gear-dampener for the Gen 3 clutch.
    Riva 3 BAR Map Sensor
    Riva 1000cc Injectors
    The Athena Dash logger
    ET 15.5 SC boost Wheel

The cooling has to be upgraded. I have detected heat issues since I started using the dash logger.
    The dash logger is a neat little device you can record every sensor you have hooked up to the Athena. (this means all stock engine sensors)
    You can see things like:
    AFR, Throttle position sensor, all your engine exhaust and intake temperatures, GPS speed. You name it.
    The dash logger records from the time you start the engine until you turn it off. So you can see the best rpm in a day or the best speed whatever you are looking for.

Before I decided to change my setup I had a lot of questions about the Athena. I got in contact with them and asked if they don’t mind answering them for me. So I made an appointment and went over to the Pompano store and they answered every question I had and more. I must say they are very helpful and patient.

I will share this in a different thread:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197183
    Last edited by Leendert; 05-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.

+1
    deff increase water flow, just the feed from the pump thru the transom plate can be increased , it has a 8mm hole !!!!! huge restriction right there,

+1
    I have to say 3 mph on a back to back swap from a R3 to an Athena is impressive and has me looking at this option for sure! What will you be doing to address cooling? Except for the cam gears and some of your new stuff our setups are almost identical so I am very interested to know!

+1
    Great build

+1
    Awesome results. What reflash were you running before the Athena? Just when I thought I was almost done dumping money into this thing....

6. +1 by:

+1
    The reflash I had was the same as the one 90% of the people here are running. Yellow93 had it right.

Big John what did you increase that hole to?

I don't really know what to do with the cooling.
    I asked the Athena guys about the JD1 cooling and they said that reversing the water flow in the engine didn't give them good results.
    I forgot the reason tho.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
    The reflash I had was the same as the one 90% of the people here are running. Yellow93 had it right.

I asked the Athena guys about the JD1 cooling and they said that reversing the water flow in the engine didn't give them good results.
    I forgot the reason tho.
    So the 3mph was this done with fuel, Rpm's or timing? (If you know)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post

I forgot the reason tho.
    i drilled the hole in the transom plate out to 3/8, its best to remove it to do it in small increases as the nipple is SS, dont want to grab it and break a drill off in it or spin it out, the T under the exhaust manifold is very restrictive too, look into increasing flow there too

10. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    So you went to the river ,lake ect. ran the boat and logged the rpm and speed. then changed the ecu to the athena in like 15 min or so ran the boat again and gained 3 mph and about 300 or so rpm. Is that right?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I ran R&D's second thermostat........what's the use of adding more water if you can't outlet it.....

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information