+1

ATHENA Questions and Answers by Leendert.

I had some Questions about the Athena and decided to make an appointment with Riva.
    They took the time to answer my questions and I would like to share them with everyone.
    It might clear up some stuff for you guys as well as it did for me.

Q1.) Can the Athena compensate fuel maps based on the info it gets from the AFR Gauge/Sensor?
    A1.) Yes- Athena does have a closed loop lambda control feature. We advise against using it because if/when the O2 sensor gets wet, it gives out false readings and could lean out the engine. This is common with all PWC 02 sensor set ups. The 02 sensor should be used for tuning only and then removed for normal riding.

Q2.) Can you give me a Target AFR vs RPM table we can tune to?
    A2.) No this is too specific per application. It depends on compression ratio, timing, type & size of pistons, fuel type, etc.

Q3.) How do we set the Idle on our Ski’s?
    A3.) On the new Yamaha & Sea-Doo direct connect ECUs: Latest firmware allows easy user adjustment of idle.

On the original Yamaha Power Connect ECUs: If you are having an idle issue, you probably have an upgrade that is not supported by the base map you are using. Riva will assist you to set custom idle parameters to meet your needs. This is usually done by remote log-in. New firmware for Power Connect ECU is coming to add idle adjust feature like Direct Connect model.

Q4.) Why are there different maps for the direct connect than for the power connect?
    A4.) We added many new features to the new Direct Connect firmware & maps because that is our future direction. We will be updating the map selection for Power Connect ECUs in the near future.

Q5.) What happens beyond the limitations of the base maps for example base map rated for 8300 rpm and my target rpm is 8700?
    A5.) The curves we designed for each base map will carry through in a projected line. Users should check AFR if running a map well above Riva's recommended RPM target.

Q6.) How much timing is in these base maps?
    A6.) Direct Connect Yamaha & Sea-Doo ECUs: The timing table is available for user to view in MAYA software.

Power Connect Yamaha ECU: Timing tables are not available to view in MAYA at this time. Riva can supply this info upon request. Future firmware upgrade for Power Connect ECU will allow user to view timing tables like Direct Connect.

Q7.) You can switch maps with a dual map switch on the direct connect ECU. Is this also possible for the power connect?
    A7.) We will soon make a switch available for PC ECU.

Q8.) The Dash logger has the temperatures in Celsius and the pressures in mbar can we change that to Fahrenheit and PSI?
    A8.) Yes you can do this in the dash logger setup software. You have to put in the formula to calculate the unit you want to use and change the label.

Q9.) How does the Knock level work?
    A9.) The system detects pre-ignition for specific cylinders using OEM knock sensor. ECU pulls timing out on a per cylinder basis based on knock detected. Currently knock is deactivated on most maps designed for high modification levels due to variances in individual engine noise.

Q10.) What is the map difference between turbo and SC?
    A10.) There are so many differences and many different Turbo’s, so there is no map that can cover both applications.
    Turbo maps compensate for different spool times and feature electronic boost control. We will be adding several turbo maps to our map selection in the near future.

Q11.) Would it be possible to add an exhaust gas temperature sensor to the Athena?
    A11.) Yes- but our dash logger does not support auxiliary inputs. Athena does offer a stand alone logger with auxiliary inputs (for EGT, additional sensors,etc) that will work with our PWC ECU.

Q12.) How do users set the RPM limiter?
    A12.) There is a soft RPM limit and a hard RPM limit. The best method is to set the soft limit at 500 RPM below hard limit. The hard limit starts shutting the engine down by turning off spark. By setting the soft limit at 500 RPM below hard limit, the ECU will start cutting out cylinders to progressively slow the engine down. This creates a very smooth RPM limiter system and eliminates the harsh feeling of crashing into a hard limit at peak RPM.

Q13.) If I remove the original Gauge cluster, I will lose my Fuel Level indication. Is there any way the Dash logger can pick that up?
    A13.) Yes -you will loose fuel indicator if OEM gauge is removed. The dash logger can not display fuel level.

Q14.) What are you guys working on for the future of the Athena.
    A14.) We have a lot of cool features and benefits that will be added through our ongoing software development. The Athena ECU platform is very powerful and has great room for expansion. We will continue to release software upgrades along with expanding our base MAP selection.
    Last edited by Leendert; 05-17-2013 at 05:26 PM.

+1
    Hi Leendert, in your post you state that in the Athena logger software we can input a formula to change mbar to psi. Can you post the instructions on how to do this or PM them to me?

"Q8.) The Dash logger has the temperatures in Celsius and the pressures in mbar can we change that to Fahrenheit and PSI?
    A8.) Yes you can do this in the dash logger setup software. You have to put in the formula to calculate the unit you want to use and change the label."

+1
    Hook us up Leendert!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FallinOffHurts View Post
    Hi Leendert, in your post you state that in the Athena logger software we can input a formula to change mbar to psi. Can you post the instructions on how to do this or PM them to me?

"Q8.) The Dash logger has the temperatures in Celsius and the pressures in mbar can we change that to Fahrenheit and PSI?
    A8.) Yes you can do this in the dash logger setup software. You have to put in the formula to calculate the unit you want to use and change the label."
    1. Download the MD60 Setup file located here
    http://www.rivaecu.com/downloads/setup_riva_22new.zip

2. Open GATE
    3. In the Red Window that opened select Setup Manager.
    4. Left click Open Setup From Disk and select the 'setup_riva_22new.zip' file you just downloaded.
    5. In the menu that opens. Expand CAN channels. Near the top, Left click (CAN2) MAP.
    6. Bottom Right Side, Left click 'Calibrate Channel'.

A new window will open with X and Y values. Edit the Y value Y1 and Y2. Both are in millibar just convert them to psi.
    10.0 = 0.1450377psi
    1000 = 14.50377psi

Click OK once you have edited the values.

7. Just above the Calibrate Channel button you will see 'UNIT'. Change this to the unit of measure you will be using. MBAR to PSI.

8. Connect the MD60 USB cable to the pc and allow it to connect. You should see a Device 'X' available message soon after connecting. Left click Send Setup to Device. You will get a message window when successful. Click ok. Save the file using the File -> Save As and give it a new name.

The temp channels can be edited also using the same steps. Just convert the Y values from tempC to TempF.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Rob, could you also give the Celsius to Fahrenheit formulas for Y1 and Y2. Also, TEXMAN shows a different value for Y1 (-40) than TAIR (-60) and TH20 (-60) readings. Is there a different formula for TEXMAN Y1 value?

Thread Information