Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    demian5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    152
    +1
    4

    Thinking about taking my skis into salt water...

    I have two 3 2-stroke sit downs (see signature). I am thinking about taking them to San Diego Bay to ride for a day this summer. I have never had them in salt water. What steps should I take before, during and after to make sure I take care of them? I am apprehensive to take them into salt water because of all the bad experiences I have heard about corrosion, etc.

    Thanks in advance for your advice and input!


  2. #2
    mattydipps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Babylon, Long Island
    Posts
    652
    +1
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
    I have two 3 2-stroke sit downs (see signature). I am thinking about taking them to San Diego Bay to ride for a day this summer. I have never had them in salt water. What steps should I take before, during and after to make sure I take care of them? I am apprehensive to take them into salt water because of all the bad experiences I have heard about corrosion, etc.

    Thanks in advance for your advice and input!
    just make sure you flush them thoroughly after the ride and spray inside the hull with anti corrosion spray.. andddd you should be good to go.

  3. #3
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,157
    +1
    598
    Flush engine well, do it twice if you are not sure , or just drop it of at a fresh water lake on the way home for a 5 minute ride
    ( thats the best way to flush salt out )

    hose ALL over the inside of the hull after engine is cooled down

    once it dries , then spray EVERTHING with Fluid Film , Lanotec

    just think of it like this

    were ever salt air can contact , rinse and coat with spray, then when in doubt spray it again


    Waz
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 05-24-2013 at 08:18 PM.

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    demian5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    152
    +1
    4
    Good advice guys. Is WD-40 considered a good spray? When I put them away for the winter I spray the inside of the hull and engine liberally with it.

  6. #5
    brisyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    681
    +1
    59
    fluid film is best but dw-40 is better then nothing at all. WD-40 is hard on rubber and will crack hoses in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
    Good advice guys. Is WD-40 considered a good spray? When I put them away for the winter I spray the inside of the hull and engine liberally with it.

  7. #6
    Resko 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Waretown, NJ
    Posts
    81
    +1
    7
    I have never riden In fresh water. I always flush after every use and keep the bildge and engine covered in WD-40. Never had a problem with hoses cracking. WD-40 is not much more than fish oil, not sure how that would cause hoses to crack. Chris

  8. #7
    Spooling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Coast of Florida
    Posts
    1,283
    +1
    177
    I "pulled" the following from a Corvette Discussion Forum:

    -------------------------------------
    if you use WD-40 as it contains strong hydrocarbon (aliphatic) solvents, which may compromise non-neoprene rubber, it is also highly flammable (easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames)
    -------------------------------------

    Take it for what it's worth.

    If WD-40 works for you and gives you satisfactory results - then obviously continue with what you are pleased with - if/until you discover likewise.

    Good Luck !!!

  9. #8
    Almost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    778
    +1
    73
    CRC-656, you can buy it by the gallon and pour it into a spray bottle. Go crazy with it. You can never have enough.

  10. #9
    brisyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    681
    +1
    59
    +1, like i said earlier it's better then nothing

    Resco 1, if DW-40 make you happy, do what you wish but it have been proven to be a rubber eater

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    I "pulled" the following from a Corvette Discussion Forum:

    -------------------------------------
    if you use WD-40 as it contains strong hydrocarbon (aliphatic) solvents, which may compromise non-neoprene rubber, it is also highly flammable (easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames)
    -------------------------------------

    Take it for what it's worth.

    If WD-40 works for you and gives you satisfactory results - then obviously continue with what you are pleased with - if/until you discover likewise.

    Good Luck !!!

  11. #10
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,157
    +1
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Resko 1 View Post
    I have never riden In fresh water. I always flush after every use and keep the bildge and engine covered in WD-40. Never had a problem with hoses cracking. WD-40 is not much more than fish oil, not sure how that would cause hoses to crack. Chris
    WD40 is petro based solvent ( nothing to do with fish )

    FF and lanotec are lanolin based ( natural )

    I used crc and wd for 15 yrs and was happy with it , but after find a better ,safer product I was a convert

  12. +1 by:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM
  2. Thinking on selling my ski 1500 single
    By peteshauling in forum Yamaha 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
  3. Thinking on selling my ski 1500 single
    By peteshauling in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
  4. crazy, but thinking about disabling my lanyard
    By docboc in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
  5. best place to take my ski to do warranty
    By TheXrider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •