Yamaha XL700 fuel gauge - easy way to add and not too expensive

For once, I'm actually posting something to offer instead of asking why my ski is broke or questions about how to fix it. The Yamaha XL700 doesn't have a fuel gauge and most people seem to think that it is too expensive to add one and not worth it; however, I think I have found an inexpensive solution. I ordered both a sending unit and compatible fuel gauge from www.wemausa.com for $90 shipped. I measured the depth of the tank from the top which was about 13.5" and then ordered the SUS 316 Stainless Steel Sensor with that length. I then ordered a stainless steel gauge which operates with similar operating ohms for another $30 from the same site. The XL700 fuel tank has an opening with a rubber cover near the front. This tank was apparently used on other models which did have a fuel gauge. I intend to mount the new sensor in the rubber blank area. Then, all I will have to do is run a ground to one side of the sensor and the other side of the sensor will go to the gauge. The gauge will require power so I intend to run it through a toggle switch which will also run the electric rule bilge pump that I added. I'll come back later and let you know how it worked out and add some photos. To me, having a fuel gauge is worth the $90.

Pics? Update?

Thread Information