Which intake grate?

I have just installed a pump from a Gp1200 in my son's 1999 Gp800. It has the pump tunnel from the 1200 and a Skat 148mm stator and impeller and pump liner (thanks osidebill, yes it's a 148mm, I measured it, just looked smaller than 155mm). For now it will run a 0* exit nozzle and factory steering nozzle. I will more than likely change the steering nozzle to the Riva extended nozzle that was on the boat when it had the 144mm pump. I am in the market for a 5* exit nozzle if anyone has an extra? My question is: What intake grate should I run? I bought a Worx grate off e-bay for next to nothing and I like the looks of it.....When the boat had the 144mm pump in it I ran an R&D grate and never even considered trying anything else.....What's the concensus on the 1200? I'm not too worried about having enough horses for the bigger pump...the boat is now powered by a 927cc 66E with twin pipes and 44mm Blackjacks, 165psi Riva girdled head and Pro-tec modified ignition, Powderlite reed spacer and Boyesen reeds and stuffers, T&W crank, ported by GroupK.

Mike

+1
    Your welcome I never even measured it or tried it. It came to me with a request to find it a good home and get a stocker to replace it. I found the best possible home and the stocker is on its way.

I have never seen what the worx grate looks like I have a Protec and am told that cutting the wings off will yield the best results. This came from Spud and he had tried several on his 99 before sticking to this formula. Knowing the man I know he proved this with alot of back to back testing.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    I never heard anything good about the Worx grates on GPs, but I always like to test what others have "blacklisted", so give it a shot.

How many vein is the stator? Also if you notice the Magnum exit nozzle doesn't have fins on the inside of it like the stock one. So you may want to machine them off if using the OE nozzle.

Intake grate

I will definitely check it out, but I have to start collecting others to test against.....Thank god for E-bay and forums. I'm attaching a couple of pics. The Worx and Pro-tec look pretty close to each other. Bill, which wing did Spud cut? The center or the outside two?
    J-Me, the stator is a 6-vein I bought from Bill....it came out of Mark Hahn's GP....sweet piece of history. It didn't come with exit nozzle. I've got two stock pieces....I'll modify one and leave the other with fins to test.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by cfgp927; 02-27-2007 at 08:08 AM.

+1
    In limited class back in th late 90s we ran the protec with the side wings removed to yeild the best speed and compromised hookup nothing worked better in this power range. Most did this. In Superstock we ran a seperate pumpshoe designed by TJ. It acceted SJ grates which opened the door to many different grate designs depending on course and conditions. The SS setup sucked you to the water beyond imagination making you much faster on the course but 3-5 slower on flat water. Wouldn't bother with it unless your in the 220+ hp range. Hope this helps a little even it is 10yr old info.

It helps! I know I'm not making that much HP with the boys motor.....probably down about 50 or so horses from the old SS's. But it should be plenty for a 15y/o and his mother to ride. Anyone got a Pro-tec grate they want to get rid of? Nice snag of that intake grate Addicted (the one you got from KansasGPR). That should be real nice in a triple piped GP.
    Mike

+1

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgp927 View Post
    It helps! I know I'm not making that much HP with the boys motor.....probably down about 50 or so horses from the old SS's. But it should be plenty for a 15y/o and his mother to ride. Anyone got a Pro-tec grate they want to get rid of? Nice snag of that intake grate Addicted (the one you got from KansasGPR). That should be real nice in a triple piped GP.
    Mike
    I got it off duke. flyingscotsman got the one off kansas gpr

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgp927 View Post
    I will definitely check it out, but I have to start collecting others to test against.....Thank god for E-bay and forums. I'm attaching a couple of pics. The Worx and Pro-tec look pretty close to each other. Bill, which wing did Spud cut? The center or the outside two?
    J-Me, the stator is a 6-vein I bought from Bill....it came out of Mark Hahn's GP....sweet piece of history. It didn't come with exit nozzle. I've got two stock pieces....I'll modify one and leave the other with fins to test.
    Mike
    The outside two

oops....my bad...got you two confused.....nice grates and shoes anyway
    Mike

Thread Information