Exclamation 2003 Polaris freedom won't start has spark and tries to turn over.

Tested spark plugs and they are sparking, tested airflow no problem, fuel is on, when I try to start it up it acts like it wants to turn over but doesn't( starter is working). Checked compression and its good a little over 120 on both cylinders, kill switch is in place. Have no idea what else it could be spring pump has fuel in it, carb is tuned correctly at 1 1/2 turns open. Please help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Check battery voltage at the battery using a multi-meter. With meter connected, monitor voltage sag when the engine is actually cranking, with spark plugs installed. If battery voltage does not stay above 10.6 volts, battery is too weak.

Ignition system needs over 10.6 volts at all times while cranking or you will not have spark.

Thanks for the reply but I already did that and it reads 11.2v while cranking. The battery is brand new, it ran perfect last week and all of a sudden it just won't crank.

P.S the spark plugs ARE sparking everything seems like its good it has fire fuel and air but not starting, really stumped at this one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnybanger69 View Post
    P.S the spark plugs ARE sparking everything seems like its good it has fire fuel and air but not starting, really stumped at this one.
    For clarity;

Cranking means the starter motor is rotating the engine

Firing means the spark is causing combustion in the engine.

Starting means the engine RPM increases due to the combustion accelerating the crankshaft RPM.

Running means the engine continues to run after the Start button is released.

My understanding is that your engine cranks but you do not get firing, despite having spark - correct?

Check the flywheel timing marks with MAG piston at TDC. It is possible the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key and is out of time.

Correct. It is cranking but not firing despite having spark, I'm not really sure what you mean by checking the flywheel timing marks with MAG piston at TDC. But I'll try to do some research and figure it out, thanks again

Thread Information