+1

Engine Oil in Hull

First time out for 2013 season.

Prior to launching, I ran my ski on the hose, checked exhaust filter, R&R'd & cleaned plugs, installed anti-seize on the threads, put some blue lock-tite on the ride plate/intake grate bolts (Mal), checked oil level, charged battery, bla-bla-bla.

Prior to storing it for the winter season, I fogged it well, removed the plugs and sprayed some fogging sauce in the cylinders, an extra shot or 2 for V-Man cause he recommended such, and changed the engine oil - which had 10 hours or so on it since the last engine oil change. I did not change the oil filter this time.

Launched, and while waiting for my buddy to show-up and just kinda doing pre-ride checks - I see what at 1st I thought was H20 in the bottom of the hull, nope it's oil (maybe total amount ~ the volume of a coffee cup). I looked around and saw no obvious source. I grabbed a hold of the oil filter to ensure it was snug - and it was ok, got maybe another 1/8 turn on it by hand. I continued to check the oil level during the course of the day - and it looked "happy" each time.

I looked at the valve cover to be certain the rubber gasket was not "rolled" and it looked good.

Soooo, in conclusion, I have no idea what the source of this engine oil is from. When I changed the engine oil - I certainly do not remember spilling oil in my hull, and I did not replace the oil filter this time as it had only 10 hours on it.

Hence, I kindly recommend areas for me to check - please.

Lastly, not having blasted on my ski for many months I will certainly say it was quite the "thrill" to blast on my 300x again. Mal, you are correct - it is indeed a "Machine" and yes Jimmmmieeee - I was smiling all day

Many Thanks Guys !!!

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Was it new or old oil?

Check the area where the Driveshaft goes into the engine. There are some seals and gaskets in that area. If you spilled that much oil while changing it, I think you would have noticed the mess when you put the Oil Filler cap back on . . . so it's not that.

Also that you got another turn on the Oil Filter by hand indicates that it was loose; see if there is any oil residue where the Filter screws onto the engine. There's not much room there but you should be able to at least get a finger down there. JB

+1
    driveshaft seal wont be the problem, im guessing loose filter also. if it stayed dry this is further proof you fixed it.

Banned User
    +1
    Check your oil pressure switch.

+1
    Excellent guys - thanks for contributing by sharing your knowledge and experience with me.

Banned User
    +1
    where my dipstick tube goes in the block on both my ski's has a veeeeery slow drip. try looking there, worth a shot

+1
    Checked everything you guys recommended...

Also decided to R&R Cylinder Head Cover (Valve Cover) - clean and re-install gasket - adding some "special sauce" to those regions defined in the Service Manual - namely the recessed regions at the 4 corners of the cylinder head (front and back).

Installed new Oil Filter, Checked catch can, oil dip stick tube bolts, oil pressure switch and drive/coupling region.

Ran it on the hose with good results. Seems "drip-free". This weekend's ride will be the ultimate test.

Again Guys - Thanks for your advice/recommendations...

Thread Information