Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sl750 electrical gremlins after engine rebuild

So i just finished up the rebuild of my 94 sl750 after it blew a crank bearing. I doubled checked every thing, stuck a hose on it, and it fired and ran like clock work on the trailer for about 2 minutes on the hose. I let it cool for a little bit, cleaned the excess oil off the plugs, went to restart it and it had no power to the starter or display. I know the battery is atleast pumping 12.xx v as it is brand new, and my bildge pump will still run. I started playing with the cables and when i wiggled the the starter wire it fired off and ran like normal again, but as soon as i shut it off it would not turn over again without playing with the cable. I got it to start again and then it just died abruptly. The engine still spins free so i know its not the engine locking up, but now no matter what i do it wont turn over, and the display wont come alive. The solenoid/relay for the starter wont even click.

I opened the box up and rechecked my connections and all is ok.

I was getting ready to pull the exhaust and check the starter cable to make sure i tightened it but it hit me (unless im misunderstanding how this setup works) that the starter cable should not have any affect on the display or the solenoid not hitting.

if any one could point me in the right direction to start testing that would be great.

btw neither the fuse or breaker are popped

also, during reasembaly i dropped the e-box on the battery and it did arc between the box and battery. However, this was before i tried starting it for the first time and the ski did run (although with these problems) after the fact.

+1
    Check all negative cable and ground wire connections.
    Last edited by Tony; 05-19-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the circuit breaker/reset button. Those are known to go bad. Test for 12V power on the red/purple terminal on the board. Just for a test you can take the red spade off of the breaker and connect it to the red/purple terminal on the board. I wouldn't ride the ski in that configuration, but you can do that to verify the breaker is bad.

I already checked my major cables (ground, battery, etc) and they are good. I will go out and try to bypass the breaker and see what happens. ill let you know what happens shortly.

thnaks for the quick reply.

also, are there any good wiring diagrams for these skis? my shop manual dosnt have squat.

so my breaker is good and i have 12.59v going in at red, and 12.59 going out at red and purple, including at the bus bar.

but i also checked and i have about .5-.9 ohms of resistance between the motor and the battery end of my ground cable, i do have 7.4k ohms between the end of the batter cable and the black (im assuming ground) bus bar in the electrical box. I am assuming that this is not correct.....?

how does the ground enter/distribute through the box?

im kinda wondering if i have a bad ground wire somewhere in or out of this box, and by cranking on it/ running it, just overheated that wire until it failed/melted, but i dont see any signs of melt or fire.

this is all assuming that the insanely high resistance is not correct.

I just went and ran my own redunted ground from the battery to the black bus bar in the box and it turns over and came back to life, then i took it off to verify and it is dead again.

leading me to i have a bad ground to my ebox between the engine and the box, as a have low resistance between the battery end of the ground cable and the engine, but high resistance between the engine and the ebox.

so my question is, how does the ebox ground its self? is it via the black wire that runs to the stator? or is there a seperate wire that i am over looking on the ski/wiring diagram? I am refering to the wire that i traced red next to. Where are the 2 ground points showen on the diagram actually located at on the ski? or are they just a representation and not actually on the ski?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring d.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	301455  

+1
    The dotted line represents the ebox, so the two ground points would be inside the box. IIRC there are two "critical" ground points inside the box.

+1
    /Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebox.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	301456

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information