Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picked up a 2001 GP1200r

Hey everything,

Just wanted to introduce myself with my new ski. I've been a land-only motorhead for ever it seems, but my wife said motorcycling is dangerous and suggested 'we' buy a PWC. After doing some reasearch, ended up with a unit in great shape, which everyone has a hard time not liking to look at it. I've not owned a ski before, but have had a 19' boat in the family a dozen years ago. This ski is 2x faster than the old boat

ANywho, I'me extremely mechanically inclined to do any of my own work. I've done clutches and axles, radiators and rear-ends. Wired up new ECU harnesses and rebuilt a Mazda RX7 engine. I'm honestly not so affraid to blow anything up - infact, I've never blown an engine (The mazda was a friend). I hope to get years of enjoyment out of our ski purchase decision, and hence the best way to do this is to simply ask questions and search the forums.

Thank you,
    Eric S

Bought a ski for the family as we all hope to really enjoy it. Its a 2001 gp1200r in near new/perfect condition. The gel coat is still perfect making this unit look practically brand new. It has 57 hours on the clock.
    1. I bought it private sale, before I bought it we did a compressino test. The test yielded 95pci on all 3, however I dont think I did the test totally to the highest degree.
    - The battery has a good/exelect charge
    - The gauge was one brand new on loan from AutoZone ($40 rental)
    - We did the test with only one spark plug out at a time, meaning two sparks were in while each chamber was tested
    - We left the throttle CLOSED.
    - I've rear some info about doing something to the powervalve during the test - we didnt do anything.

*** Does 95psi compression make sense with the above scenerio? Next time, what exactly do I do with the powervalves to make the reading higher/more acurate?

2. The unit has the following for-sure known modifications
    - D-Plate replacement of stack cat
    - Premixing 40:1 using Amsoil
    - Wave-eater powervalve clips
    - Supposedly the last tech did some adjustment on the carbs
    - Replaced the spark plugs with stock replacements

*** Should I do anything more, like an EGT, spark plug temp gauge, carb tuning?

3. We took it on a lake for about an hour and it was a a real hoot. Everything went really smooth:
    - Other than a small leak from one of the rear drains missing an O-Ring (I hope thats all) as I fixed it at home
    - Seems to eat a bunch of gas but seems to be on-par with what I've found, maybe ~5mpg
    - Seems the ski loves cavitation at least thats what I think it is. Will look to Riva stage 1 maybe next year
    - I hit about ~61mph

***Thoughts?

4. Questions:
    - I want to keep this unit reliable. What should I do for premix percentages (Currently 40:1)
    - I think the inlet nipples on the tops of the carbs were for the oil injection. These nipples are open and not blocked off. Do they need to be blocked off?
    - 95PSI on cylynders. Should I re-test using full-throttle method?

Anything else?

+1
    Welcome aboard. I also rebuild rotaries. I have a speed shop and work on all performance cars. Makes it easier learning to work on the ski.

If it runs fine, id leave it alone. If anything id put in a new fuel filter and fresh plugs.

I like to premix. If you know rotaries you are familiar with it. The oil pump on these skis is pretty good but the lines are suspect to popping off and kinking, which will quickly destroy the motor.

As for the cavitation, install a riva pump seal kit. Would also be a good idea to check the condition of the impeller and wear ring.
    As for the cavitation, install a riva pump seal kit. Also check thr

3. +1 by:

+1
    Did it smoke like hell at idle?

I knew very well about premixing rotary engines.

The engine barely smokes at idle, maybe a few puffs. On the water maybe just a little. No more than any other two stroke in working order.

What about the oil nipples on the carb? They are tough to reach... Would they be causing a vacuum leak or no?

+1
    They should be capped off.

+1
    Why? They are on the air cleaner side of the carb, and on top. The hole is smaller than the mesh on a Flame arrester, so the only way they would be a problem is if the boat was full of water. I don't see how they would be a problem, and surely not worth pulling the exhaust system off to plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    They should be capped off.

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Dont worry about capping off the oil injection nipples at the carbs.

Ok thanks guys, ill wait for if I ever need to remove the exhaust for the caps.

This ski has a riva performance sticker on it, but can't figure out why. Did the sticker come with the dplate or block off plate, or something else? Would I be able to tell if there's a pump seal kit without taking parts off?

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroClient View Post
    Ok thanks guys, ill wait for if I ever need to remove the exhaust for the caps.

This ski has a riva performance sticker on it, but can't figure out why. Did the sticker come with the dplate or block off plate, or something else? Would I be able to tell if there's a pump seal kit without taking parts off?
    Pull the Riva sticker off.

+1
    Wellcome to the Hulk! A 2001 GP1200R, is a fast & reliable ski ... I have one. If as you say are macanically inclined it will be a match made in heven. They can take as much tweeking you are willing to dish out. and they are a fun ski to work on when it suits you. Go out now & do us proud ! Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information