Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Question Disappointing results from prop and rideplate change on Stage 1 FZR

Hey guys looking for a little advice here. This site has been a great resource, I wish I could do more than just ask questions.

Last year:
    '09 FZR
    • Riva air filter
    • Riva ribbon delete
    • Riva free flow exhaust
    • R&D intake grate with plugs, I was a bit sloppy with the 4200 and plan to redo it at some point
    • Foam removed from cowl and drilled
    Ran around 71.X mph on the GPS (maxspeed app iphone 4) and could feel it hitting the rev limiter on the top end

This year
    • Removed OEM prop and installed Skat 155/75/25, 13/21 billet nose cone from Impros (reinstalled pump with great stuff-did not get threebond in time-I pulled it at the 5-bolt location between pump and transom plate)
    • Installed Jim's modified VX ride plate directly to hull with no shims.
    • Added Tiny Tach (no previous RPM data)
    Hit consistent 7720-7730 RPM's on top end all day long, best speed 69.9mph, maxspeed app on iphone 4

Only other oddity is I slightly overfilled the oil I'm 1/8" past the top of the hash line on the dipstick, but don't see any signs of oil being puked. I had planned on an R1 reflash eventually, but want to hold off until I can figure out what is going on here. I did not measure the prop from Impros, but I have a set of gauges from Mike somewhere at my house. I'm not sure how much I trust the Tiny Tach, because it wouldn't always read at the low RPM's. What should I do next?

Thanks.

Looks like your on the rev limiter. I would pitch the prop a tad bit more and test again or get a reflash with higher rev limit.

As a side note. Always add one mod at a time. That way you know for sure if it helped or hurt you!

testing flat water ? did you try different trim settings ? get ahold of a real handheld gps and try again

+1
    You should be running a 13/22. And it's not good to run these with the oil overfilled.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    You should be running a 13/22. And it's not good to run these with the oil overfilled.
    I think a 13/22 would be too much for his setup. I ran a 13/22 on my FZR with the exact same mods as the OP and was stuck at 7400-7500rpms. I repitched to a 13/20 and run at 7600+.

I have no idea how accurate the GPS is on the iphone, so that may be one variable.

+1
    I agree on the one mod at a time, but when swapping impellers it was hard not to put on a new ride plate-especially a proven one. The water was not glass today, too busy for that but smooth enough I was expecting 2 more mph at least. I know the modified VX plate is supposed to be slower in rough water.

On the oil I'm going to take some out, first time I've ever had it over. It measured ok after running with the new filter yesterday, but after I came back home today and it got hotter must've settled more-if that makes sense. It's only very slightly over, but I've read all the horror stories of FZR's puking oil on the stock air filter.

I'll get a new GPS and retry at the very least.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I think a 13/22 would be too much for his setup. I ran a 13/22 on my FZR with the exact same mods as the OP and was stuck at 7400-7500rpms. I repitched to a 13/20 and run at 7600+.

I have no idea how accurate the GPS is on the iphone, so that may be one variable.
    Yup, I bought the Skat initially pitched to 13/21 after reading your results. I was afraid of hitting the rev limiter so I didn't go to 20. I've pretty much modeled my ski after yours after reading through your posts. I'm still suspect of the TinyTach and my phone GPS. I'll get a real one before the next time.

+1
    you are on the limiter not enough prop but I would just spend a little more and get the R3 reflash

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    you are on the limiter not enough prop but I would just spend a little more and get the R3 reflash
    Would that be overkill for now with a stock supercharger? I'm really tempted to go ahead and get a reflash now-so I don't have to repitch the prop again. I plan on at least a C1 wheel but that will be next year when I have enough money for an intercooler and other supporting mods including a blow-off.

+1
    nope thats what I did I added the R3 basically with the same mods as you, im still running stock boost. The R3 is the best mod for the money, I rode my ski with stock boost and intercooler for a year with the R3

you are not that far from me come on down sometime and ride with us

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information