Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

First run of the year gone bad. Please HELP!

Hey guys, pulled my 2008 rxp-x out of storage today for its first run. I tossed the battery in and started it before I left for the lake and everything seem fine. At the boat launch it fired up and sounded good. Pulled off the trailer and idled out of the no wake. Then i slowly eased into it and opened it up. Ran WOT for a minute or so then I let off. Dropped down to about 40 mph and noticed it was struggling to run smooth. I had the trottle pulled back to about 3000 rpm and it was bouncing from 3000-3500. Seemed like i didnt have near as much power as i normally do. I thought it was bad gas at first but i filled up with new gas before i went out. (i think it was stored with just under a half tank) So i shook the ski in the water to mix up the gas. nothing changed. i couldnt run over 40mph and i was getting some weird vibrations like something was in the prop. i took it slow back to the boat ramp and pulled the ski out of the water to look it over. everything seemed fine. dopped it back in and it still ran like shit. i have no idea whats goin on here. i dont understand how it was running great like last year but when i let off from WOT thats when things went wrong. heres a video of it running back at home after the lake trip.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Doesn't look like my video works. Whats the best way to post a video on here?

+1
    Change your plugs at the beginning of every season!!!

NGK DCPR8E # 4339 with screw on cap at any auto parts store. O Reilly's has them for $2.29 each.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...6&keyword=4339

You can get these in a box of ten for spares and your friends that forget also.

Last edited by jpt7779; 05-19-2013 at 07:07 PM.

5. +1 by:

I pulled all the plugs and check them and seemed to be fine but i will change them and see if that helps. Thanks

+1
    since you have an electronic ignition - when you lose grounding of the plugs - it shuts it down. Sometime you can remove the old plug - clean it and use it again - but... just get new ones - two sets - one for a back up . Make sure you have a good plug wrench too. Stock one is crap. a little anti seize on the threads is a good idea too. (just a dap) After the plugs are screwed in - spray a little WD40 in before you put the cap back on - keeps corrosion down. Good Luck

would having a weak battery have anything to do with this issue as well?

+1
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ec_BuRn View Post
    would having a weak battery have anything to do with this issue as well?

+1
    Definitely change your plugs. Had a similar problem earlier this season, ran like crap, plugs looks fine. Changed the plugs and all good now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    since you have an electronic ignition - when you lose grounding of the plugs - it shuts it down. Sometime you can remove the old plug - clean it and use it again - but... just get new ones - two sets - one for a back up . Make sure you have a good plug wrench too. Stock one is crap. a little anti seize on the threads is a good idea too. (just a dap) After the plugs are screwed in - spray a little WD40 in before you put the cap back on - keeps corrosion down. Good Luck

Do NOT use anti seize with NGK plugs. See pdf file in the very first post of this thread:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176516

Additionally, it is best to store your ski with a FULL tank of fuel with StaBil or SeaFoam for extended periods, as this will keep condensation from forming in the tank and trashing the fuel.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information