Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2000 1200 XLL Sponons

Anyone know if the 2001 XL 1200 Z sponsons will work on the 2000? here is a link to them. I'm trying to prevent in from leaning. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=0-HULL-DECK-1 Thanks

+1
    A r&d rideplate will cure the leaning, just did a 99XLL this spring, and it fixed it. Kept the stock sponsons.
    To answer your question, yes, I believe the newer sponsons fit the older XLL's fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    A r&d rideplate will cure the leaning, just did a 99XLL this spring, and it fixed it. Kept the stock sponsons.
    To answer your question, yes, I believe the newer sponsons fit the older XLL's fine.
    Is the ride plate an easy change out for the weekend warrior?

+1
    It doesn't look complicated...there isn't a cooling system like on the doo

+1
    Usually simple with 1 potential problem: The nut insert in the hull that the ride plate bolts thread into will ofter spin out of the recess they mount in, which would require you removing the waterbox and vice gripping the inserts from the inside of the boat. Pain in the butt, plus then you will have to fabricate or buy a replacement mount plate for the inside.
    Just found this out the hard way on my son's 99 XLL. Thought it was going to be a quick swap.

+1
    Usually simple with 1 potential problem: The nut insert in the hull that the ride plate bolts thread into will ofter spin out of the recess they mount in, which would require you removing the waterbox and vice gripping the inserts from the inside of the boat. Pain in the butt, plus then you will have to fabricate or buy a replacement mount plate for the inside.
    Just found this out the hard way on my son's 99 XLL. Thought it was going to be a quick swap.
    How do I prevent this spin out from happening...any words of wisdom?

+1
    My GP1200 leans and teeter totters back and forth more with the Riva sponsons down. But it only happens at slower speeds. So I just put them up and it rides flat as can be.
    Point being, I think LT1GMC has the right idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryallen View Post
    You could go right to gripping the inserts with a vice grips from inside the hull, otherwise, there isn't much you can do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You could go right to gripping the inserts with a vice grips from inside the hull, otherwise, there isn't much you can do.
    Thanks for the info...I'm going to start with the ride plate and see if that fixes the issue.

inserts turning

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Thanks for the info...I'm going to start with the ride plate and see if that fixes the issue.
    I have had good results when removing the ride plate bolts which still have the factory loctite holding them by applying heat to each bolt for about 30 seconds with a small propane torch then trying to remove the bolt immediately, if it doesn't want to break loose with moderate pressure, heat it some more, it will usually come out without spinning the insert. I usually have someone observe the insert when removing the bolts for the first time. when installing the new ride plate I don't use the high strength locktite and haven't had any problems with the bolts working loose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information