Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger problem symptoms?

First ride of the year, 39 hours 09 RXPX, half a tank fuel and stable, filled tank with fresh fuel. First half of tank ran great, later in the day, at around a half tank skiwould bog down some, then run strong, sometimes holeshot is strong, sometimes not, like it's bogging down, rode thru some debris before this happened, in a back water cove, thought for sure I ducked something up, but couldn't find anything, so I suspect maybe supercharger or gas. Is there any quick way to inspect the supercharger? Any help appreciated.

+1
    pull the SC intake boot, if you can free spin it with ease or it moved in and out by a good amount your in trouble. Check the carbon seal could have been damaged, also a fresh set of spark plugs couldnt hurt either.

So there should be some resistance when turning the supercharger vanes by had? Sounds easy enough. How do you check the carbon seal? And when you say I might be in trouble, isn't the supercharger relatively easy to repair?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    change the plugs

back into the water!

if still flaky, then spend the time on the charger inspection.

unless your flat out all the time and catching lots of air, 39 hours is not even in the eyebrown raised range, but there have been some failures.

plugs are much easier, with a good expected result. Add fresh gas at every opportunity

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    change the plugs

back into the water!

if still flaky, then spend the time on the charger inspection.

unless your flat out all the time and catching lots of air, 39 hours is not even in the eyebrown raised range, but there have been some failures.

plugs are much easier, with a good expected result. Add fresh gas at every opportunity
    +1 On the plugs. Get an extra couple sets, too. I bought a 09 RXPX that sat for months took a couple tanks of gas to straighten out.

I bet the slip is low already, but I doubt its your real problem.

I will definitely get new plugs, wouldn't surprise me if it were that because it has that same feeling my 96xp had when I knew it needed fresh plugs. That a dealer only item, or can I get the correct part number plug from an auto parts store?

+1
    Ngk #4339. O'reillys should have them in stock.

Paul

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrseadude View Post
    So there should be some resistance when turning the supercharger vanes by had? Sounds easy enough. How do you check the carbon seal? And when you say I might be in trouble, isn't the supercharger relatively easy to repair?
    Just check it for wear and tear, make sure the boot still has tension isnt all weak and floppy like. There is probably a write up somewhere on the site. It is a 100hour maintenance repair but your ski is quite a few years old so it be worth checking regardless.

Well you have an 09 so washer failure isnt a issue, but the bearings could fail, which will get into the oil system. Its highly unlikely that it could happen to an 09 w/ 39hr, but theres always the small chance it could.

Thank you Madzooki! I'll get some tomorrow.

Sfackett0, I will probably take a look anyway, just to have a look, I didn't fog the supercharger over the winter, didn't think I had too, would there be any noise associated with a bearing failure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information