No Compression in cylinder - 2000 GP1200R

Hey all, After 2 hours of great riding yesterday. (the 1st ride of the season). Today I jumped on it, and after about a 1/4 mile it just slowed down and wouldn't go over 35ish. it got sluggish, and slow. I put it up on the lift, checked the intake and nothing was obstrucint it at all. Next, I put some carb cleaner in and just puts around in idle for a couple minutes, gave it a little gas to try and work it through. I then ran out, grabbed 3 new spark plugs, and a compression tester. SADLY the front cylinder had zero compression. the middle and rear around 110. Any words of wisdom for me before I call the mechanics? Whats' the most common issue? how expensive could this get? thanks!

+1
    Are you premixing or running factory oil injection?

Any modifications? Is it still using the oil pump? Have you checked to be sure the oil lines are attached? They can come off and cause cylinder failure. It could be as cheap as a piston, cylinder, and gaskets, or it could be as expensive as a full rebuild depending what you find with the rest of the motor

+1
    pull the head,is it trashed if so rebuild carbs,take motor apart (cases) flush bearing to get crap out ,new crank seals and if not all ready done rejet carbs and 86 cat in pipe ,lots of info on here about your problem try search -price? 800-1000 if can save crank that having cylinder re-coated which you may not need all that,you can clean aluminum deposit off with muriatic acid,just have garden hose running by you if never have work with stuff,eye protect all so

hello all,

Thanks a lot for the replies. This repair job is too intense for my mechanical ability. (I was proud to put new traction mats on successfully haha) Plus, I'm moving in 4 weeks and it would be hard to find the time to work on it. So, I'll likely be biting the bullet and paying a professional.

CCW, I'm not using premix. I use the recommended yamalube 2W, although it does have a D Plate mod, so I believe that means I could use any 2 stroke oil right?

Strikeback, The only mods it has are D plate and SBT couplers. I think it's still using the oil pump. I did not see any oil in the bottom of the hull, and all lines did seem attached. How much am I looking at for Piston? Cylinder? Gaskets? If it needs a full re-build, is it worth doing on a 2000 GP1200 I paid $3,200 for?

Chip, Thank you for your detailed input. I think this job is over my head though. I'm more so trying to see what the problem could be and the cost associate with it to make sure I'm not getting ripped off some how haha. I will print this reply and inquire about the rejetting, and flushing of the bearing cases and other things mentioned.

So far it sounds like a I'll need any combination of a new piston, cylinder, gaskets, oil lines, crank case...

+1
    Gotcha. If you aren't running a premix, you need to look down in between the u-pipe and engine down to carb#1 and see if the oil line is still affixed to the brass oil injection nipple on the carb. Cylinder 1 (closest to front of boat) the only one you can see without taking off the exhaust. It is encased in wire loom and should have the tiny black zip-tie still attached. If it is off the brass nipple, there is your problem. See attached pic of cylinder 3, but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missing oil line.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	301491

Thread Information