Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet?

+1

Helmet?

What helmets are people wearing? I am looking for a moto style helmet to wear while riding. My ski is just under 70 on GPS and I know lots of people have been over the bars at that speed, but I don't want to experience that without some form of protection on. So what are you guys wearing?

I am looking at this helmet. I just don't know how well a moto helmet is going to do in the water for hours on end

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...mets/dirt/mx-2

or this one

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...mets/dirt/sx-1

or just something along these lines. I am going to go to a motorcycle shop this week to look at some of the models they have in stock.

Paul

+1
    I actually think there is another thread covering this subject. The one I use is a Fly Trekker Helmet. It has a visor that can also used with goggles. I like that I can lift the visor once it gets wet or dirty and still have clean goggles. I would also recomend a neck roll, JetTribe makes one.

http://www.flyracing.com/product/mot...10/matte-black

+1
    There was a thread on helmets but it was a poll and not much came of it. What do the racers wear? Jet tribes is a very nice helmet, but it is out of my price range. I wish more sites listed the weight of the helmet, because tht will have a lot more affect on neck fatigue after riding for hours.

I like the fly racing helmets, thanks for the link. I hadn't found them before and they list their helmets as water helmets as well.

Paul

+1
    I've got a Jobe helmet. It's light, and you can take the lining out.

Banned User
    +1
    I wear a top of the line shoei or arai only two helmets ill wear. Has saved me countless times. Spend a little extra on a good helmet. My shoei is two years old and still looks new and all ocean riding. Fly makes a decent helmet as well.

+1
    I've started wearing a helmet alot as well. I surf jump and river ride so there is the potential there to get hurt. Felt kinda strange at first but is now becoming more natural and last time out one of my riding buddies said to me "you make us all look like amatuers when you wear that thing!"

I have a THOR mx style helmet. Doesn't seem to heavy. Can ride for a couple of hours and not notice it.

+1
    Well its good to see someone else is not afraid to buck the norm ... and wear a helmet & neck brace. My wife thinks I look silly out on our lake with all the gear on. But just yesterday ... on a practice run I hit my jaw on the bars ... never really felt a thing thanks to the helmet. I have a good moto style helmet & a moto neck-brace collar. better than the Jet tribe neck roll ... takes a little getting use to. However i did find that with my aqua goggles my side range vision is much less ... now on the search for not so restrictive more open face goggles. I am just pushing the 70 GPS speeds and have never flown off yet! I know it only takes once. I bought the helmet @ a pawn shop for under $100 bucks and it was like new. DOT & Snell approved is what you want. Good Luck P.S. if you find less restrictive open face goggles please post it !

+1
    I almost forgot ... the real influence for my wearing the gear is a fellow GH member .... just ask " lasportsman" his opinion ... he makes a very covincing argument.

+1
    I find wearing a helmet has 3 advantages, safety first and foremost, somewhere to mount a camera and thirdly it keeps your head dry and warm in the winter months. Nothing worse than getting a head cold from cold spray and freezing winds hitting you.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    I wear a top of the line shoei or arai only two helmets ill wear. Has saved me countless times. Spend a little extra on a good helmet. My shoei is two years old and still looks new and all ocean riding. Fly makes a decent helmet as well.
    X2 on Shoei, best helmet I've tried to date not on water tho (snowmobiling, quading)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information