Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1

    New member : In need of guidence and Need of new engine 06GP1300r

    I will start off by saying: I am very new to the PWC building world, i bought new a 2006 gp1300r, second ski i ever bought, and kept it in perfect shape, maintained it better than new, and the ski just flat out ran awesome. Due to circumstances, i sold the ski to a friend, well 2 years later, he ran the ski out of oil, and fried the motor...He asked me if i wanted to buy it back, and for the price i just could not resist. I am planning to pick the ski up this weekend:...Now the bad

    the ski has sat for 2 years now, he had removed the engine (not sure what else) but he said that it is in need of a new engine. I am no newbie when it comes to mechanics, i own a garage that builds high performance diesel truck motors, so i can turn a wrench...But as i said the PWC world is new to me.

    So some questions: Being that he has completley removed the engine already, should i even mess with boring it out, and rebuilding that one (if it is even possible) or should i just get a new engine for it?

    Also where should i look at purchasing a new motor for it.

    What are some things i need to be sure to look at when i get the ski?

    and what reccomendations does everyone here have as far as what else i should do to it since it will be completley apart...Parts, brand names, mods, ect are all more than appreciated.

    Again Thanks in advance for all the help, i look forward to becomming a active member on this forum.

    Thank you


  2. #2
    100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    JUST NORTH OF CUBA-- FL,KEYS
    Posts
    2,556
    +1
    39
    Welcome to Greenhulk..
    First ? to ask is--do you have aftermarket stuff on anything else you own??cars,trucks,boats,skis.???
    If all stock and no Speed bug to feed, then a rebuilt motor from some named places will work.
    But if you even think you want to go fast -then you or some person you know need to rebuid it.
    The cylinders can be bored BUT then need to be re-plated with nicsil (like a crome coating-reduces friction-makes more hp- comes that way from OEM)
    Take 2 weeks and read as many long rebuild threads as you can stand and you will be way wiser to make your own call on what parts/power/setup you will want to run/build..
    You can always go nuts and look into a conversion-
    Have fun and enjoy..
    Mattman

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    Welcome to Greenhulk..
    First ? to ask is--do you have aftermarket stuff on anything else you own??cars,trucks,boats,skis.???
    If all stock and no Speed bug to feed, then a rebuilt motor from some named places will work.
    But if you even think you want to go fast -then you or some person you know need to rebuid it.
    The cylinders can be bored BUT then need to be re-plated with nicsil (like a crome coating-reduces friction-makes more hp- comes that way from OEM)
    Take 2 weeks and read as many long rebuild threads as you can stand and you will be way wiser to make your own call on what parts/power/setup you will want to run/build..
    You can always go nuts and look into a conversion-
    Have fun and enjoy..
    Mattman
    i do have the fast itch, but this ski in stock form for me was fast enough, my main goal is get this thing back on the water, not looking to go crazy on the build, more or less if there are some suggestions that should be done since i will be in this far, then i will do them, other than that just want a reliable good running ski. If i remember, this ski use to do 75 or so when i had it, for me thats plenty fast...although a little faster wouldnt be so horrible.

  4. #4
    powerstroke specialist mikegp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,529
    +1
    190
    this is what you need to drop in there if you want a good ski.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196767

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    this is what you need to drop in there if you want a good ski.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196767

    is this worth doing over just a replacement drop in motor

  6. #6
    CJ's gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    685
    +1
    34
    a gp-ho conversion is always fun to watch. would definitively get you up there in speed. would be more work then just a replacement 1300 but with more work comes more fun in the end! you must read a lot of threads on here to know what your getting into first though.

    and by the way, i hate to ruin it for you but everyone has to learn sooner or later that there stock speedometer isn't very accurate. the gp1300r is rated at 64.5mph on a gps. yes mine says something in the 70's also, which is fun to read but not a reality. hmm a with a conversion you could see 75 on a gps. now that'd be fast!

  7. #7
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by gp1300r06 View Post

    So some questions: Being that he has completley removed the engine already, should i even mess with boring it out, and rebuilding that one (if it is even possible) or should i just get a new engine for it?
    If the case halves, cylinders, and head are in good enough shape (no big holes in it or other MAJOR damage) then you can get a gasket kit, new crank, and bore/hone/re-nic the cylinders. Sounds simple, I know. And it kinda is. But there are always a few other things that'll pop up, so expect to spend more then you think.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gp1300r06 View Post

    So some questions: Being that he has completley removed the engine already, should i even mess with boring it out, and rebuilding that one (if it is even possible) or should i just get a new engine for it?
    If the case halves, cylinders, and head are in good enough shape (no big holes in it or other MAJOR damage) then you can get a gasket kit, new crank, and bore/hone/re-nic the cylinders. Sounds simple, I know. And it kinda is. But there are always a few other things that'll pop up, so expect to spend more then you think.
    agreed with the GPS speed VS the spedometer, i knew those were not accurate.

    I will be getting the motor and parts within the next week so i will be able to inspect everything and see what the issues with them are. at this point just from quick reading, i think just replaceing the motor will be the easiest fastest way to get this thing back on the water,

    suggestions as far as some easy upgrades, Impellers, grates, anything like that....that are worth doing?

  9. #9
    also, where is the best place to get a new motor for the ski? website..local (north New jersey)....

  10. #10
    Yamaha artisan Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,500
    +1
    55
    Sadly, there isn't really a good place to get a good quality replacement motor for your ski. That's why we are suggesting you fix it. Most rebuild places will send you an engine with lower quality gaskets, crank bearings, pistons, seals, and non- nikasil cylinders. In a high strung engine like the GP1300R...it might not be the best option.
    I don't wanna completely bash these places, but you have to know what you are getting and what to expect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New member : In need of guidence and Need of new engine 06GP1300r
    By gp1300r06 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
  2. New member and in need of some info.
    By BigPole in forum PWC Fishing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
  3. Newby needs help - oil and metal shavings in bilge of 97 WV760
    By 93AmSkier in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
  4. Newby needs help - oil and metal shavings in bilge of 97 WV760
    By 93AmSkier in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
  5. Forum Member In Need Of Your Help!!!
    By gtxscrider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •