+1

supercharger shaft bearing(s)

Over the weekend I replaced the factory OEM bearing ($42.00) on the shaft with the one piece unit from RIVA ($150). I noticed that Engine Tech offers their two piece bearings for $29.00. For those of you guys that are having shaft failure, what bearing are you running and do see the failure being related to the bearing from not properly oiling the shaft?
    Last edited by tcr0148; 05-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.

My shaft broken at the nut. Bearings seemed ok and I don't think the the wheel hit the housing(until the nut came off).I couldn't tell you why my shaft broke. The factory shaft seems to break at the nut (to small thread diameter for higher loads) or at the gear (i think there is a machining flaw on that end).

Replaced with engine tech grooved bearings and Rd shaft. The engine tech bearings are grooved around the outside where the oil holes are to allow more even oil flow. The one piece bearing claims to help fight shaft deflection.

My guess would be that mine failed when the my clutch teeth started to fail and bound up stopping the wheel instantly. Otherwise just fatigue, shaft had 120 hours on c3.

But with all the shrapnel and variables its hard to tell what went first. It was messy and expensive. Got to throw away a new clutch,riva dampener, c3 wheel, shaft and front sc housing. My cylinder head just got new valves and I will be re assembling my engine in a couple weeks. Found massive metal contamination in the oil filter(both sides). Metal particles in main bearings and oil pumped scored. Most damaged was caused by the clutch teeth.

+1
    Thats some serious CARNAGE.......wow! How much did you torque the C3 wheel down with? Did you exceed the factory recomendation? I am going to hang on to my factory bearings and clips just in case I have a catastrophic failure and need to replace it. I just find that $150.00 for a bearing is a bit much when ET offers one for $29.00.
    On inspection of the OEM shaft and bearing, I didnt see any scaring, wear, or heat marks on the shaft and the bearings.

Torqued to spec with a snap on 1/4 torque wrench. It lasted 100 hours with the c3 wheel so I think it would have failed quicker had I have over torqued it.

+1
    Good point.......at 100hrs of abuse, it would have snapped a good bit sooner if you would have over torqued it. Did you notice a lot of wheel chatter with the C3 when letting off of the throttle?
    Last edited by tcr0148; 05-20-2013 at 02:48 PM.

No, loved my c3. Would have got one again except I wanted more power. Engine tech 15.5 this time around. C3 never turned my 160mm pump quite right, it could with more patience but i grew tired of taking pitch out of the impeller. Besides, we always need more power.

So wich bearings do you guys think are the best?? Riva, R&D or Etech??

+1
    as noted above, I'm running the one piece Riva.

Thread Information