Question 1995 polaris slt750 low compression!!! Please help

I just bought a 1995 polaris slt750, it has compression as follow; 65/115/100. I don't know if it starts, I tried it a few times but nothing, I don't want to started like that, first I want to clean the gas tank and put new gas with additives for better performance... Any ideas on what to do.... I bought it real cheap for me to try to fix it.... I want at least try it before taking it to the mechanic..... Anything will be helpful.... Thanks....

Welcome to GreenHulk! The guys on here are really helpful and are gods when it comes to knowledge on these skis. As far as those numbers go it sounds like alot more then just changing the gas. Things you need to add are a triple output fuel pump, new fuel lines, rebuild carbs, and you may want to change the fuel select. Good luck with your ski!

+1
    Welcome! Start reading here to get a good feel for everything you need to check and do.

65 / 115 / 100 are pretty low readings. The 65 jug must be redone for sure, likely have a broken ring, severely scored cylinder, or a holed piston. 115 is borderline, and 100 should be rebuilt as well. Ideal for the 750 is 120 PSI on each.

Where are you located?

There are very few additives for gasoline that are going to improve performance. Things like Seafoam or carb/fuel system cleaners will not correct an improperly running motor....
    Last edited by K447; 05-21-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There are plenty of repair and maintenance items you need to attend to before you put anything into the fuel tank.

Read through the material linked from my signature links. It should get you on the right path.

The low cylinder compression needs to be corrected. Depending on what you find when you take the top of the engine apart, the likely scenarios are either an engine 'top end' rebuild or an entire engine rebuild.

Do not be surprised if removing the engine from the hull to work on it turns out to be the easier way. Working on the engine in the hull is doable, but if the crankcase needs to be opened or there are other issues it is just plain easier to have the engine out of the hull. And it gives you the opportunity to get the hull nicely cleaned up.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Do not be surprised if removing the engine from the hull to work on it turns out to be the easier way. Working on the engine in the hull is doable, but if the crankcase needs to be opened or there are other issues it is just plain easier to have the engine out of the hull. And it gives you the opportunity to get the hull nicely cleaned up.
    I am doing my first full rebuild and I can't agree more. having the engine out of the ski is very nice. But I mean you have no choice if you need the crank out.

I am seriously considering yanking the engine out on my SLT780 that needs the MAG replaced/rebuilt. We'll see how well the alignment goes when I put the 780SLX engine back in and decide from there.

Thanks guys, I just order the service manual, I just bought the trailer for the jet ski, today I will put it on the trailer hopefully!!!! And then to start messing with the motor..... I will be posting more info as I progress on this project.... Thanks for all the replies.....

Thanks guys

Thread Information